Central Scotland Forum TdF ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jane Smart

The Queen
I think I am still some time away from joining you all, only having been cycling a few weeks. Just now 22 miles is my max distance I have covered. Perhaps next summer I will be ready

;-)

Unless you do some junior runs sometime?

scook94

Veteran
Jane Smart said:
I think I am still some time away from joining you all, only having been cycling a few weeks. Just now 22 miles is my max distance I have covered. Perhaps next summer I will be ready

;-)

Unless you do some junior runs sometime?

I think you're ready now...

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Well we could always try the Tour de Falkirk route which I have suggested before, it is not long and only has 380 m altitude gain, but it is suitable for all. Those wanting a longer ride could always cycle to or/and from Falkirk. The only thing I don't know is where to eat...

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Jane Smart said:
HJ that sounds like a nice route, is it mainly cycle path ? Have you done it before? :smile:

I have done parts of it before and it is all on road, but they are mostly quiet roads and we would look after you...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Don't worry, Jane, you'll be all right - and HJ is a very good 'sheepdog' - he doesn't let anyone get away :ohmy:. He wouldn't let TechMech 'fall off the back' on the first ride he did - despite his best efforts xx(

As has been said, these CC Forum rides are social, not to see how fast you can go. There are plenty of stops/pauses and no one gets left behind.

Seamab

A couple of options possibly for the future might be as follows - both starting and ending at Auchterarder (Gleneagles rail station)

1. Auchterarder - Braco - Comrie - Crieff - Auchterarder

Distance approx 40m. All quiet B roads or more minor. Lots of places to stop if req'd. Hills - a reasonable but not steep climb out of Braco followed by a huge downhill run to Comrie. A couple of short but not too steep climbs near the end coming up from the River Earn to Auchterarder.

Parking available in Auchterarder but immediate access out of rail station must be on foot until the slip road from the A9 as the road out of the rail station leads straight onto the dual carriageway.

This ride can also be from Dunblane but would be nearer 50 miles.

2. Auchterarder - Dunning - Ardargie - Rhynd - Bridge of Earn - Dunning - Auchterarder

Again just about 40 miles on quiet undulating roads. A couple of short hills. Great views along the Tay towards Dundee at Rhynd (possible diversion to Elcho Castle). Farm shop just outside Bridge of Earn. Various pubs, cafes, Spar's etc... at B of Earn/Dunning/Auchterarder

This ride could also start/finish from Perth missing out Auchterarder and turning back towards Perth at Dunning.

It could also incorporate a "serious" climb diversion up to Path of Condie with a super fast descent to Dunning for anyone that fancied it - but would not be suitable for all.

I can map these routes if there is any interest. If the ride is early August then i can't make it, but they might be future possibilities?

I was going to add a route out of Alloa as it has an Asda car park and a new rail station right next to each other but there would be a busy stretch of road to negotiate to get in/out of town which might be off putting for some.

scook94

Veteran
The TdF is fine with me, but as mentioned previously, the hill from Falkirk High Station to Hallglen may have to be walked...

Jane Smart

The Queen
Hi again

Well today I did 22 miles in exactly an hour and a half, if that is good enough and I am free when you next go out, I will join you., I have to say though, I did push myself at that:tongue:

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Seamab said:
A couple of options possibly for the future might be as follows - both starting and ending at Auchterarder (Gleneagles rail station)

1. Auchterarder - Braco - Comrie - Crieff - Auchterarder...

This ride can also be from Dunblane but would be nearer 50 miles.

2. Auchterarder - Dunning - Ardargie - Rhynd - Bridge of Earn - Dunning - Auchterarder...

It could also incorporate a "serious" climb diversion up to Path of Condie with a super fast descent to Dunning for anyone that fancied it - but would not be suitable for all.

I can map these routes if there is any interest. If the ride is early August then i can't make it, but they might be future possibilities?

I was going to add a route out of Alloa as it has an Asda car park and a new rail station right next to each other but there would be a busy stretch of road to negotiate to get in/out of town which might be off putting for some.

Those looking interesting, could you put them on a map? If you don't already have a favorite mapping site try bikemap.net. Thanks...

ACS

Legendary Member
Jane Smart said:
Hi again

Well today I did 22 miles in exactly an hour and a half, if that is good enough and I am free when you next go out, I will join you., I have to say though, I did push myself at that:tongue:

Thats my position as the Lanterne Rouge secure then ;)

Top Bottom