Central Scotland May Ride

Route preference

• Falkirk 1 (36.6km)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Falkrik 2 (42km and a bit more challenging)

• Trossachs (60km no big climbs)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
OK so we have done the March ride, time to start planing the next one. The suggestion in the pub was that it should be in May, any suggestions for dates and routes?

A couple of ideas for routes for starters, Tour de Falkirk based on Bike Scotland book one, but missing out the canal bit, starts from Falkirk High Station, or maybe something in East Lothian (there are direct trains for Glasgow Central to North Berwick)... Other suggestions welcome!!

ACS

Legendary Member
When I mentioned the possibility of a run out over the late bank holiday weekend, the keeper of the cyclist purse response was a wee bit frosty; weekend before or the weekend after? If we make it May 2010 I may have master the art of dying on hills with style and panache not the half hearted effort displayed this morning. :biggrin:

A doodle might be in order to set the date. I'll set it up tomorrow unless someone else has the urge!

HJ, how long is the T de F?

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The book says 35Km but there are plenty of wee roads to add in variation (or just get lost), we could even add in an extra loop out to the Falkirk Wheel...

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
There are a few ups and downs (see here), I am sure we can find something suitably steep...

We would also have to find a way round the Muiravonside Country Park bit as that is not suitable for road bikes.

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Newbie here. I'll take HJ up on his invitation

My browser doesn't let me see the route though. Do you have a description in words.

East Lothian would be great as welll. Never done any rides out that way but there are some fantastic country backroads.

Cheers,

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The link give in my two posts above is a written description of a ride I did a couple of years ago following the route in the book (sort of).

I have only recently discovered East Lothian, my routes there tend to be of the make it up as you go along variety...

By the way Halfmanhalfbike what browser are you using?

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Hairy Jock said:
The link give in my two posts above is a written description of a ride I did a couple of years ago following the route in the book (sort of).

I have only recently discovered East Lothian, my routes there tend to be of the make it up as you go along variety...

By the way Halfmanhalfbike what browser are you using?

IE version 6. Keep getting a message which says that my browser is out-of-date and the page can't be viewed. I'm at work so can't update it. I'll wait till I get home tonight and try from there.

Haddington - Gifford - Duns is a great ride, though a bit on the long side

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I'm cool in May except for the 30th and 31st; work trip away. Once the date's finalised I'll tell any baby visitors to bugger off and come another time!

D-Rider

Weekends in May are starting to get a bit hectic for me....

Running Great Edinburgh run on Sunday 3rd
Glasgow Women's 10K on Sunday 10th
Hillwalking in Skye 23rd/24th

So could make 16th/17th or 30th/31st.

At a push I might be up for one of the Saturdays before the 10ks... but preferably not!

Ok guys here is the doodle link to set your date preferences.

I've extended it into June as it will increase the likelihood of getting good numbers (and good weather?!):sad:

I'll need to check with my calendar (wife) before I put my dates down.

Top Bottom