Central Scotland May Ride

Route preference

• Falkirk 1 (36.6km)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Falkrik 2 (42km and a bit more challenging)

• Trossachs (60km no big climbs)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Given ....
Halfmanhalfbike said:
Good route. Lots of climbing but some great descents as well. I did kirkliston, broxburn, dechmont, over beecraigs, down to linlithgow,along to hopetoun house then up to dalmeny and back to kirkliston. Like you said, great tailwind on the return leg
... it looks like HMHB and HLaB will be "up an' awa" :laugh: ..... while Mags tries to restrain himself ....... unsuccessfully ! :biggrin:

Need to check the calendar, family etc etc. Mrs Scoosh asked if she could have coped with yesterday's ride; response - "the Cycling, Yes; the People .... hmmmmmmm" ;) Actually, she would have been fine and she's more nicer than I am :laugh:. Maybe I'll be able to persuade experiment (aka Scoosh jnr) to come along too, as long as I can get a new bike by then :biggrin:

lazyfatgit

I'd love to do another ride soon (as soon as the legs stop aching:laugh:), but not sure i can manage May as I'm likely to be away for 2-3 weeks (about as far away as you can get without leaving the planet).
Mrs lfg will likely have some objections to me buggering off on another jolly.

However, never say never.....

lazyfatgit said:
I'd love to do another ride soon (as soon as the legs stop aching:laugh:), but not sure i can manage May as I'm likely to be away for 2-3 weeks (about as far away as you can get without leaving the planet).
Mrs lfg will likely have some objections to me buggering off on another jolly.

However, never say never.....

I've put some dates for June on the doodle (it worked for me but it took a while) so if June works better for you, put your dates in.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
lazyfatgit said:
I'd love to do another ride soon (as soon as the legs stop aching;)), + Mrs lfg will likely have some objections to me buggering off on another jolly.
Ah, clearly a Masochist ;) ....

.... or a real CC guy :blush:

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
scoosh said:
Given ....

... it looks like HMHB and HLaB will be "up an' awa" :smile: ..... while Mags tries to restrain himself ....... unsuccessfully ! ;)

The route may look impressive. The time taken wasn't :smile:

June looks better for me than May but isn't June monsoon season in Scotland now though. I'll have my new bike by then and it ain't going anywhere near rain:smile: I'll have to bring the old faithful tourer if it's wet.

ACS

Legendary Member
Halfmanhalfbike said:
The route may look impressive. The time taken wasn't :biggrin:

June looks better for me than May but isn't June monsoon season in Scotland now though. I'll have my new bike by then and it ain't going anywhere near rain:smile: I'll have to bring the old faithful tourer if it's wet.

When do the scottish luftwaffe get airborne? Nothing like have to clean your teeth after a fast jaunt (like I would know what 'fast' is:biggrin:) around the lanes of Lothian.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
May should be fine for me, though June may be out depending on the dates I get from my sister for visiting her in Houston TX.

I'll try and update the Doodle later.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
From the look of the Doodle not everyone is going to be able to make the same date in either May or June, but we could take the opportunity to organise and ride in May and one in June...:biggrin:

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Ok route suggestions, have just looked at the one I posted above and realised that it was linear and not a loop. So here are a couple of variations, here (36.6km) and here (42km and a bit more challenging), which both end up back at Falkirk High. Have a look and make comments, remember which ever route we choose might not be the route we ride one the day, if the person at the front is wearing sun glasses...

HJ have you ever done a route around Loch Venachar in the Trossachs like p38 of the Bike Scotland book it looks interesting and it could be an option? Its pancake flat with bar/ refreshment spots en route it also has the bail out option of the Trossachs Trundler bike bus if its too long for people. The only bit I'm unsure about is a 2 mile section along the south banks of the Loch between Invertrossachs estate and the forrestry road, a cycle track; what condition is the track?
This is a satisfying and straightforward level circuit, which explores the charms of the Trossachs in a day outing from Dunblane

D-Rider

Hairy Jock said:
From the look of the Doodle not everyone is going to be able to make the same date in either May or June, but we could take the opportunity to organise and ride in May and one in June...:blush:

I should say that my doodle dates are a bit sketchy....

I'm supposed to be away for a fortnight in June but it's getting severely mucked around by Mrs D-R's work commitments at the moment. So I will have some availability in June beyond what I put in the doodle.... I just don't know at the moment when I'm going on holiday... :tongue:

D-Rider

Hairy Jock said:
Ok route suggestions, have just looked at the one I posted above and realised that it was linear and not a loop. So here are a couple of variations, here (36.6km) and here (42km and a bit more challenging), which both end up back at Falkirk High. Have a look and make comments, remember which ever route we choose might not be the route we ride one the day, if the person at the front is wearing sun glasses...

Is that second route taking us back down the great downhill section from Sunday? And is there a chairlift we can use to get to the top this time?

Both routes look good to me.

Top Bottom