Central Scotland May Ride

Route preference

• Falkirk 1 (36.6km)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Falkrik 2 (42km and a bit more challenging)

• Trossachs (60km no big climbs)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hairy Jock said:
We can do which ever route people want to ride, we have all year I am sure we can find time to try all the suggestions...

Of course, but as you say, we don't want to scare anyone off unnecessarily so deciding a route soonish, allows folk to know what to expect. If I'm free I'd love to do a ride each month during the summer.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I would like to have a go at one of the Falkirk routes as both have an element of new ground for me, but would happily do the Trossachs again.

I hadn't ridden the southern part of Sunday's ride before either, but maybe I should have flagged up the first paragraph of the ride description in the book:
The fun thing about this strenuous route on quiet roads is that you very quickly leave Linlithgow behind to enter the countryside for cross-Scotland views and hilltop Neolithic forts.

D-Rider

I voted for all three - I want it all! Well, I don't have any preference really.

Doubt that I could commit to a ride each month but might be able to turn up at short notice for some of them....

EDIT: Sorry, I'm not being helpful, am I? :biggrin:

ACS

Legendary Member
D-Rider said:
I voted for all three - I want it all! Well, I don't have any preference really.

Doubt that I could commit to a ride each month but might be able to turn up at short notice for some of them....

EDIT: Sorry, I'm not being helpful, am I? :biggrin:

Ditto

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Hairy Jock said:
The section along the south side of Loch Venacher will slow the racers down and give the advantage to those with wider tyres...
Hey, Mags - he's taking your "I'm faster than you" seriously :huh:

Wheel skewers at dawn, chaps :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I voted for the longer two as well.

Of course, there is a danger that the newer, less experienced (less fit ??:biggrin:) riders might get 'scared off' by those of us who have been around the block a bit (on our bikes of course, so we should be fitter, yes ? :huh:) and we could end up with the CC Forum rides becoming more of a 'club run'* (ie more serious riding) than a social, cameraderie-based tootle around. Obviously, a wee bit of a challenge is A Good Thing. On this basis, the Trossachs run - a bit longer but no 'last Sunday' hills :biggrin: - might fit the bill better.

As a principle, how long do we want our rides to be ? I would suggest 50km/30m as a good starting point - long enough to take some time, short enough not to need beard, sandals etc (attempt at an audax reference there :rolleyes:). A mid-ride (lunch) break would be good, preferably with more than lovely views of battleship/castle to eat !

* I should add that I am not a member of any club, nor have I taken part in any club run but I have my impressions .....

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I voted for them all. I'm not fussy :huh:

Obviously I really hate hills (and will do until I shed a few more stones), but the pain of climbing them is always rewarded by the sheer fun of speeding down the other side.

TechMech

I voted for the first one and the third one, although the third one would be my preference.

I'd do the second one, but psycologically it maybe isn't a good idea directly after the last one :biggrin: :huh:

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
scoosh said:
Hairy Jock said:
The section along the south side of Loch Venacher will slow the racers down and give the advantage to those with wider tyres...

Hey, Mags - he's taking your "I'm faster than you" seriously :huh:

Wheel skewers at dawn, chaps :biggrin:

Ach, I can take Mags on the down hill anytime...

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
scoosh said:
I voted for the longer two as well.

Of course, there is a danger that the newer, less experienced (less fit ??:biggrin:) riders might get 'scared off' by those of us who have been around the block a bit (on our bikes of course, so we should be fitter, yes ? :huh:) and we could end up with the CC Forum rides becoming more of a 'club run'* (ie more serious riding) than a social, cameraderie-based tootle around. Obviously, a wee bit of a challenge is A Good Thing. On this basis, the Trossachs run - a bit longer but no 'last Sunday' hills :biggrin: - might fit the bill better.

As a principle, how long do we want our rides to be ? I would suggest 50km/30m as a good starting point - long enough to take some time, short enough not to need beard, sandals etc (attempt at an audax reference there :rolleyes:). A mid-ride (lunch) break would be good, preferably with more than lovely views of battleship/castle to eat !

* I should add that I am not a member of any club, nor have I taken part in any club run but I have my impressions .....

Agreed it should camaraderie accessible to all comers, but a wee bit of a challenge is no bad thing, if all survive to tell the tale...

As for lunch, on the Trossachs ride, at the turn around point of HLaB's route (as apposed to the one in my blog in which I went on to Loch Katrine) there is a very nice wee pub with excellent food (at least it was last time I was there)...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
TM - glad to hear you were not put off by HJ holding you back :girl:.

Are you doing the Etape Caledonia ? [envy, envy] (is there an emoticon for 'envy' ??)

I'd entered for it last year, then was injured and now I am getting fit again - it's booked up :sad: :bicycle:

Top Bottom