Central Scotland May Ride

Route preference

• Falkirk 1 (36.6km)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Falkrik 2 (42km and a bit more challenging)

• Trossachs (60km no big climbs)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HLaB said:
HJ have you ever done a route around Loch Venachar in the Trossachs like p38 of the Bike Scotland book it looks interesting and it could be an option? Its pancake flat with bar/ refreshment spots en route it also has the bail out option of the Trossachs Trundler bike bus if its too long for people. The only bit I'm unsure about is a 2 mile section along the south banks of the Loch between Invertrossachs estate and the forrestry road, a cycle track; what condition is the track?

Yep, see here, it is more undulating than flat. You might not like the south side of Loch Venachar, but I managed with 25mm Conti Gatorskins, you just have to take that bit slowly... It is a great ride, I would do it again and there is (or was? it may have change hands) a good pub at Brig o'Turk.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
D-Rider said:
Is that second route taking us back down the great downhill section from Sunday? And is there a chairlift we can use to get to the top this time?

Both routes look good to me.

Yes, the second route does take the same down hill into Linlithgow, but comes up from the other side. I haven't ridden the section from the 17km marker to the 22km marker, but it looks interesting on the map...

Hairy Jock said:
Yep, see here, it is more undulating than flat. You might not like the south side of Loch Venachar, but I managed with 25mm Conti Gatorskins, you just have to take that bit slowly... It is a great ride, I would do it again and there is (or was? it may have change hands) a good pub at Brig o'Turk.
Cheers it looks quite a good route, it does undulate slightly but nothing like Sundays ride.

Hairy Jock said:
Yes, the second route does take the same down hill into Linlithgow, but comes up from the other side. I haven't ridden the section from the 17km marker to the 22km marker, but it looks interesting on the map...
I've ridden the section East of Torphichen but other than the roads were good I can't remember too much about it.

HJ,

I think your idea of two rides is a good one. At the moment there are a few dates with 7 riders in May (10, 17, 24, 31) and only one in June (14 which although I've said I can't make, I might be able to wangle it....).

So if anyone else is interested get your votes up. It helps to set the date early so people can keep it free.

Also the routes look good to me.

ACS

Legendary Member

Given the banter about our 'love' for hill racing would it be appropriate to promote this route to those who may be a little hesitant to join us; try to get the numbers up. Given the routes profile may be suitable for a 2 group run, the fast boys doing a quick double circuit while a slower group takes in the scenery.

Do we have anyone lurking who may be interested in joining us but is a little concerned about doing so?

Just a point for discussion, I would be happy to plan and lead a second group if appropriate. :blush: :thumbsup:

I have dropped Tech Mech a PM about meeting somewhere between Cupar and Perth (Bridge of Earn?) one weekend for a brew and calories would anyone else interested?

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HLaB said:
Cheers it looks quite a good route, it does undulate slightly but nothing like Sundays ride.

Not to sure about that, looking at the route elevations using your Bikely maps: the Trossachs route you have there has a total climb of 616m and total descent of 610m.
The proposed route for last Sunday was a total climb of 631m and a total descent of 631m.
Whereas the route we actually rode was a total climb of 494m and a total descent of 494m.

Now which one is flatter?

I should point out that the Trossachs route is longer and not as steep...

HLaB said:
Yip that's what I mean :cheers:

Aye, it looks undulating, so you get lots of rests in between the climbs. No really fast descents like the one at the weekend! Wheeeee :sad:

We could do your original suggested route for one of the rides and this longer route for the other i.e. (May and June rides)

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
satans budgie said:
Given the banter about our 'love' for hill racing would it be appropriate to promote this route to those who may be a little hesitant to join us, try to get the numbers up.

Given the banter about our 'love' for hill racing would it be appropriate to promote this route to those who may be a little hesitant to join us; try to get the numbers up. Given the routes profile may be suitable for a 2 group run, the fast boys doing a quick double circuit while a slower group takes in the scenery.

Do we have anyone lurking who may be interested in joining us but is a little concerned about doing so?

Just a point for discussion, I would be happy to plan and lead a second group if appropriate. :sad: :cheers:

The Trossachs route doesn't have the steepness of climb of Sunday's route and shouldn't be a problem (hill wise) for anyone who was on Sunday's ride. The section along the south side of Loch Venacher will slow the racers down and give the advantage to those with wider tyres...

magnatom said:
Aye, it looks undulating, so you get lots of rests in between the climbs. No really fast descents like the one at the weekend! Wheeeee :rolleyes:

We could do your original suggested route for one of the rides and this longer route for the other i.e. (May and June rides)
I'll let you into a secret (well not really a secret if you've read another thread) it wasn't my route, I only mapped it and can't take credit for it. When it was suggested I did think it was a good one though :biggrin: The Falkirk ones look similar :biggrin:

HLaB said:
I'll let you into a secret (well not really a secret if you've read another thread) it wasn't my route, I only mapped it and can't take credit for it. When it was suggested I did think it was a good one though :rolleyes: The Falkirk ones look similar :biggrin:

I was talking to HJ! :biggrin:

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
We can do which ever route people want to ride, we have all year I am sure we can find time to try all the suggestions...

Top Bottom