Century on Saturday - and food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Afternoon all:okay:

I`m heading out on Saturday for a century (imperial), first one in a few years which I`m sure is going to bloody hurt!

Whenever I`ve done rides of this distance in the past I`ve always taken the usual food with me - flapjacks, fig rolls, sweets etc etc etc, not a problem. This time I`m "clean eating" and am stuck for ideas on what to carry with me apart from bananas, or nuts which I hate. I`m looking for energy for the ride but don`t want to get it from processed fat and sugar.

Dried fruit maybe?

A bit stumped.............:unsure:

Thanks

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Looks like you have it covered. Maybe something with salt if it's hilly and you're the sweaty type.

vickster

Legendary Member
Presumably you’re having a proper breakfast of porridge or similar?

Dried fruit good as long as your belly can take the fibre

How about stopping for a proper lunch somewhere?
Nice baked potato and tuna or beans?
Even egg or beans on toast

Homemade flapjacks, you choose what goes in?

Some people take boiled eggs with them...personally I can’t imagine anything worse! xx(xx(

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Afternoon all:okay:

I`m heading out on Saturday for a century (imperial), first one in a few years which I`m sure is going to bloody hurt!

Whenever I`ve done rides of this distance in the past I`ve always taken the usual food with me - flapjacks, fig rolls, sweets etc etc etc, not a problem. This time I`m "clean eating" and am stuck for ideas on what to carry with me apart from bananas, or nuts which I hate. I`m looking for energy for the ride but don`t want to get it from processed fat and sugar.

Dried fruit maybe?

A bit stumped.............:unsure:

Thanks
What is clean eating?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Why eat anything different to normal food? All my century+ rides have been fuelled by normal food, i.e a good breakfast, usually a large bowl of porridge, then maybe sandwiches, pork pies, pub food or a full english, plenty of liquid (water and the odd can of Coca-Cola ad maybe a coffee or two). Talking of coffee, I nearly forgot the important one, CAKE!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Go back to the future and take plain filled sandwiches you've made at home.

A tartan flask and a pen and paper for your train spotting will turn it into a proper 1960s ride.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 1258

The century rides I've done in the past have been fuelled by malt loaf.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I tend to eat all kinds of random stuff. If I find myself in Holland and Barrett I sometimes grab a load of dried fruit and I have eaten that on long rides and didn't die as a result. It's a shame you don't like nuts. Best I can think of is, as @vickster suggests homemade flapjacks or maybe homemade rice cakes. There are lots of recipes out there.

But any clean food I've eaten on rides has always been accompanied by unclean food like Lion Bars and Pork Pies.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I tend to eat all kinds of random stuff. If I find myself in Holland and Barrett I sometimes grab a load of dried fruit and I have eaten that on long rides and didn't die as a result. It's a shame you don't like nuts. Best I can think of is, as @vickster suggests homemade flapjacks or maybe homemade rice cakes. There are lots of recipes out there.

But any clean food I've eaten on rides has always been accompanied by unclean food like Lion Bars and Pork Pies.

I love pork pies, if i got a dirty one i would take it back to the shop.:laugh:
I did a 200 mile in a day ride a few years back, the only thing that got me to the end was a gala pie. And most people on that ride devoured it. Eat proper food. simple. A good meal the night before. a light breakfast a couple of stops along the way to top up. It's only 100 miles.

Top Bottom