Ceramic bearings: All they're cracked up to be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kryton521

Über Member
So, I'm looking for new bottom bracket. And since I'm replacing the standard ones. Why don't I spend more money than I've got and get some reasonably priced but still expensive "bling" ceramic BB?
Can't justify the price of the ones that save you an average of 4 watts[?] maybe even more. But there are other makes on the market. Slightly, but not much, more affordable.
Being bored and having nothing to add to "Mundane News", thread, I start looking at the benefits of ceramic bearings.........
Designed and built for use in high speed engineering use, quite what I have no idea. Where they are subject to both high speed, high pressure and to a degree, more heat than any human cyclist could put them to.
So? Well, really, are we going to get any benefits? Marginal? Probably none at all except bragging rights.
And, possibly an expensive waste of money and time. Unless the housing the bearings are in, are made of similar material, as in, incredibly strong, slippery ceramic, then it's likely that with the bouncing and vibration that we cyclists feel through our bike bits, the bearings being super hard will gradually but surely start to dent and deform the housing that they are in?

I brought a BB that I can both afford to replace in 2-3 years without weeping buckets and one that hopefully, will be nice and smooth to pedal.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It depends what you'll do with it; my son's track bike has a ceramic bearing bottom bracket, as does his race bike which also has jockey wheels with ceramic bearings. Performance matters with both and every gain helps a tiny bit.

His training bike however has a standard Shimano Ultegra one. I can't even think what's on his commuter; it'll be something cheap.

Basically, if money's no object or you're going to do something like this ↓ with it then fine. Otherwise I'd spend the money elsewhere; better tyres, nicer bars/saddle/pedals/etc.

T_MRTL_7-2-20_Stephen_Smith.jpg

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW I think ceramic bearings are just another example of tech being applied to the bike world that at best offers miniscule gains in return for massive purchase cost and at worst is complete snake oil.

Given the loads, speeds and service lives your standard metallic ball races encounter in industry they should last forever in a bottom bracket if properly looked after; however unfortunately I think those found in anything newer than the humber square-taper assy die prematurely due to poor alignment..

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
So, I'm looking for new bottom bracket.
Being bored and having nothing to add to "Mundane News", thread, I start looking at the benefits of ceramic bearings.........
Designed and built for use in high speed engineering use, quite what I have no idea.
So? Well, really, are we going to get any benefits? Marginal? Probably none at all except bragging rights.
And, possibly an expensive waste of money and time.

I brought a BB that I can both afford to replace in 2-3 years without weeping buckets and one that hopefully, will be nice and smooth to pedal.
You hit the nail on the head.:okay:

gbb

Legendary Member
FWIW I think ceramic bearings are just another example of tech being applied to the bike world that at best offers miniscule gains in return for massive purchase cost and at worst is complete snake oil.

Given the loads, speeds and service lives your standard metallic ball races encounter in industry they should last forever in a bottom bracket if properly looked after; however unfortunately I think those found in anything newer than the humber square-taper assy die prematurely due to poor alignment..
The problem (IMO) with many modern BB bearings is quite simple...quality and environment.
I've had BB bearings that aren't caged, the cheapest, nastiest way design possible. The balls can clash, increasing the possibility of damage.
They are not of reputable manufacture (ie from any of the major bearing manufacturers) and so the material and design quality is poor in comparison. Even the seals wont be as good in design...therefore they allow ingress of foreign objects, fluid, quicker
It's down to cost. Probably made in China, possibly cost a fraction of what one from a major manufacturer would.

Question is, if they used real quality bearings, would average Joe public want to pay triple the price ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Many moons ago I had ceramic BB bearings on my olde Scott roadie. They were indeed very low friction to the point where it felt a bit odd at first. For all that though it ultimately made no difference to any of my usual journey times, so I never repeated the experiment on any of my other steeds. DClane sums it up pretty well, really.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Big advantages if you pedal at 6000rpm or more.

OP
OP
Kryton521

Kryton521

Über Member
Nice, and good responses, thank you all.

If I was or had, "Money no object", buying my project one bike, then yes. CS BB and jockey wheels & chain simply to poke people [verbally.] as to say, "I have infinitely more money than you!"

C'mon Gods of Lotto fortune! Smile upon this worthless scroundrel and let me enjoy the fruits of thy loin....... or just let me win!!!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I went through a phase of researching (okay googling) loose ceramic bearings, with an idea of rebuilding a bottom bracket and maybe gaining a watt or two. Never got any further, and haven't a clue what the bearings would have done to the cups & axle.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Another POV/consideration. Are ceramic bearings the ultimate in corrosion resistance and therefore giving maximum lifetime? Normal steel bearings are often killed by water ingress causing bearing ball and race corrosion. Perhaps ceramic avoids/reduces this problem?

EDIT: not interested in power savings, but very interested in reduced servicing/longer lifetime.

Top Bottom