Chain and Cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fonsde54

Hi,

I have a carrera subway two
2417.jpg

I want to replace the chain, because its worn out.

How can i know what chain to get? the bike has 8 speeds in the cassette.
Should I get IG or HG chain?

How can I tell if my cassette is HG or IG?

sorry for asking a lot of questions, but i am a newbie and try to learn more

Thanks in advance

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Your cassette will have the part number printed on it if it's Shimano - usually on the largest sprocket.

To be honest, any 8 speed chain will do the trick. I'd suggest one from the KMC range as they are readily available, inexpensive, wear well and come with a "missing link" connector which makes them easier to fit than the Shimano ones. SRAM chains are also decent quality and come with a similar "powerlink" connector.

Edit: Just a word of caution; If your current chain is very badly worn it may be necessary to replace the cassette too as a new chain will jump on a worn cassette.

evo456

Über Member
how can i tell if the cassette needs replacing?

The 'tooths' on the rear cassette or chain ring will look like sharp and pointy. PS how do you know your chain is worn? Or is it just looking past it's best, in which case some TLC can make it a lot better and will make it perform so much better.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
how can i tell if the cassette needs replacing?
You might be able to tell by inspection - the teeth on some gears will be more pointy than others as already mentioned - but sometimes you'll only know when it jumps as you put a bit of power into the pedals, as happened to me after fitting a new chain this afternoon.:sad:

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

fonsde54

apparently both the cassette and the middle chainring need replacing...
i managed to remove the chainrings. Can i only change the middle one? And how can i pick one that is compatible?

same for the cassette can i buy a cassette removal tool and the cassette and replace it myself?

thnx

346x75v.jpg
35cfxh3.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Oh yes, that cassette and chainring are definitely worn out. Cassettes are pretty easy to replace. You'll need the cassette tool, a suitable spanner and a chain whip to stop the cassette from rotating as you undo the lockring.

With the chain ring, you'll need to know the bolt circle diameter (measured from centre to centre of the bolt holes) and the number of teeth to get a matching one. Looking at the photo it's easy enough to see that it's a 32 tooth one you currently have and I think it's likely to be a 104mm BCD - you'll need to measure to be sure. If so, it's a common size that your local bike shop will probably have in stock.

I'd be curious to know what others think about that big chainring. It's obviously not badly worn like the smaller one, but it doesn't exactly look factory fresh to my eye.

OP
OP
F

fonsde54

for cassette should i go for the

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SRAM-PG82...cycling_bikeparts_SR&var=&hash=item1c36a0d0fc

or the

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-A...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item48585028f0

also should i prefer 30T or 32T, I guess for the road 30T is better right?

thnx for all help

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
When customizing my best bike I went for 11-30 rather than 11-32 as the steps between gear ratios are closer in the mid range, so yes, personally I reckon it's slightly better for road use.

Incidentally, on mine I also changed the 42 tooth big ring for a 44 tooth which gives a bit more top end gearing - nice on certain sections of road round here.:thumbsup: This is the bike in question: link

OP
OP
F

fonsde54

i measured my chainring, it is 104mm is it safe to order one online?
the crank is sram, Can i fit truvativ or shimano?

OP
OP
F

fonsde54

ordered the cassette, the chain and the chainring from chainreaction.

do i need some kind of lube or grease for the chain as well?

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
ordered the cassette, the chain and the chainring from chainreaction.
do i need some kind of lube or grease for the chain as well?

1..did you order the lockring removal socket and the chain whip too..?
search for useful cassette removal vids
the lockring may have serrated ridges on the inner face - mine was a right bitch to crack off

2 ... pic of the cassette looks pretty mucky
have you thought about re-lube the hub bearings whilst you have the wheel out...?
you'll need cone spanners to do this
and a good bearing grease ....i used Rock and Roll 'Super-Web' grease

Top Bottom