Chain cleaning cassette gizmoey thing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I tried using a chain cleaner once, but got fed up with cleaning the chain cleaner. If you don't clean it, it just gets more mucky and stops being effective at cleaning. A rag is much simpler.

*twitch*

Mr Celine

Discordian
I've got one somewhere, as others have said they make a right mess, particularly of the kitchen sink when cleaning the thing afterwards.

They do get everything off and out of the chain, but this includes all the grease.

I've yet to find a way of getting grease or any other lube back into the bearing surfaces between the pins and the inner plates, and considering that wear to those parts is what causes apparent chain stretch came to the conclusion that these things do more harm than good.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I've got one somewhere, as others have said they make a right mess, particularly of the kitchen sink when cleaning the thing afterwards.

They do get everything off and out of the chain, but this includes all the grease.

I've yet to find a way of getting grease or any other lube back into the bearing surfaces between the pins and the inner plates, and considering that wear to those parts is what causes apparent chain stretch came to the conclusion that these things do more harm than good.
You could take it off and boil it in Linklyfe or 90 weight axle oil, I used to. :cursing:

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Mickle method. It's all you'll ever need.
By the time the chain looks as if it needs a really good deep clean, its usually due replacement anyway.

Periodically (actually, whenever I can be bothered, which isn't very often) I'll get an oily rag and give the cassette and jockey wheels a really good clean.

The Horse's Mouth

Proud to be an Inverted snob!
Park Tool one and Park chain cleaner fluid CB2. Gets the chain cleaner then rag alone. Although I only use once a month. For a quick clean I still use a rag and degreaser.

DWiggy

Über Member
I spray my chain with GT85 then wipe with a rage or two, rinse, dry then lube it always come up sparkly clean!

Edit: Rage does work but a rag is better!

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I mickle it regularly but once in a while (shock horror!) I put the chain in an ultrasonic bath with Jizer degreaser. Once it's nice and shiny, I wash it in warm soapy water , rinse it thoroughly, stick it in the oven at 60 degrees C, and relube. I do the same with the cassette. I suspect @mickle won't like that, but I felt the need to confess.

Top Bottom