Chain cleaning cassette gizmoey thing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have used one, had the Park Tool one but the sponges at the entry and exit points are now bad, so I'll probably get the Amazon one mentioned above. Quite effective and efficient, do a better job than other methods. I've used mine quite a bit as many road projects and the like means there is a lot of concrete dust and the like on the roads these days. I'd rather not have that abrasive eating up my drivetrain. I think a rag often tends just to drive the stubborn grit further into the chain. I'm pretty happy with the performance of the chain cleaning gizmo.

huwsparky

Über Member
Is there any point spending time being anal about the chain? They're only about £15 are they not!

I usually just spray mine with that GT85 stuff, along with anything else that looks like it might need some!

bpsmith

Veteran
Not the chain alone @huwsparky, you have to factor the same into the cassette, chain set and jockey wheels too. It's not just a wear and tear thing either, you are far more likely to suffer damage whilst out cycling if you are not aware of the condition of your equipment. Cleaning and living the running gear is where you get to know exactly when you are more likely to start thinking about replacing items. Better that than 50 miles from home.

huwsparky

Über Member
Not the chain alone @huwsparky, you have to factor the same into the cassette, chain set and jockey wheels too. It's not just a wear and tear thing either, you are far more likely to suffer damage whilst out cycling if you are not aware of the condition of your equipment. Cleaning and living the running gear is where you get to know exactly when you are more likely to start thinking about replacing items. Better that than 50 miles from home.

Came home from a wet ride yesterday morning. Hosed of all the loose grime quickly. Dried the bike with microfibre towel. After this, I sprayed the whole bike excluding brakes/rims with GT85 and dried off the frame again.

What else should I be doing? I thought I was doing well!

moo

I simply mickle for a month then do a drivetrain clean. Remove chain, cassette and chainset. Bucket, brush and degreaser. Take brush to both derailleurs, no need to remove those. Regrease the springs and bottom bracket before reassembling.

bpsmith

Veteran
Came home from a wet ride yesterday morning. Hosed of all the loose grime quickly. Dried the bike with microfibre towel. After this, I sprayed the whole bike excluding brakes/rims with GT85 and dried off the frame again.

What else should I be doing? I thought I was doing well!

Not a bad ritual, in fairness, but this thread is about the drivetrain specifically and your post said don't bother with the chain as its only £15 to replace.

As @moo stated after you, the mickle method is good for a while, but with regular basic strip down at intervals dependent on mileage.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs btw. :smile:

I wouldn't use GT85 on the chain personally. A decent lube is far better and not massively expensive. £7 or £8 and last for ages. GT85 is good at protecting against the damp, but not on the chain. It just gets in the links/rollers and pushes out the manufacturer lube and brings wear on quicker.

huwsparky

Über Member
Think I need to start reading into this more. Spending over a grand on a bike, it deserves to be looked after properly.

I honestly thought I was doing OK! I'll have to look out for the correct lubes. I thought a thinner lube (GT85) would be fine for the chain as using something thicker would just attract dust. Maybe not that much of a problem at this time of year though.

spen666

Legendary Member
The Butler does mine.
How quaint, I just get a new bike when the current one gets dirty

bpsmith

Veteran
Think I need to start reading into this more. Spending over a grand on a bike, it deserves to be looked after properly.

I honestly thought I was doing OK! I'll have to look out for the correct lubes. I thought a thinner lube (GT85) would be fine for the chain as using something thicker would just attract dust. Maybe not that much of a problem at this time of year though.

There are wet lubes and dry lubes. The wet ones, for wet weather strangely, are slightly thicker and don't wash off so easily. The dry ones are meant to be applied a few hours before use and are thinner and don't attract the dust like a wet lube does. Doesn't last as long though obviously.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have never used one on a bicycle, but used to do so on my CBR. It was so much easier on a motorbike and kept the dirt within.

On my bicycles, I prefer to mickle as so much easier to put the bike on the stand and turn the pedals than spinning the back wheel on the motorbike without a centre stand!

The device itself actually works very well mind you and will certainly suit some people.

Gixxerman

Guru
Never used them, but it seems that most people hold them in low regard.
All my bikes have power links. This allows me to take my chain off. I then put it in a bottle with some white spirits and give it a shake and then hang it up to dry. Back on the bike then some dry / wet lube depending on the time of year.
For bikes that that don't have a power link, I squirt some WD-40 in an old aerosol cap and then dip an old tooth brush in it and scrub the chain. I then wipe clean with a rag. Repeat as many times as necessary to get the chain clean. Then re-lube.

Top Bottom