Chain cleaning cassette gizmoey thing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I bought a Park Tools one. They are good, but I only use it when the chain is REALLY dirty. Normally a rag will do, but it doesn't have brushes to get between links. The downside is cleaning out the "cassette gizmoey thing" itself. A horrible mucky job, unless you have a garage to keep it in, in which case you probably don't need to keep it clean! Mine, like my bikes, lives indoors.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Never used one and never thought about using one.
I clean the chain when I wash the bike, using a brush that gets into the links.
It then gets dried off and lubed. Job done!

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
If you do buy one..
This one HERE
Is the same one as the more expensive versions sold around the web......
It takes longer to appear as it comes from China(or is Kong Hong?)
I've seen it for as much as 20 quids...
Just sayin'

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Ive always used rags, brushes and a bit of petroleum and it has always worked.

But you see these things in the LBS and wonder if they will make life a bit easier.

There is a lot of satifaction in getting a bike chain, cleaned and oiled.

I need to get a life.
I've never used one and not heard anything good about them. If I need to clean a really dirty chain I take it off and rinse it with parafine.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you use them with the bike leaning to the left, the cleaner dribbles down the chinrings into the BB and washes the lubricant out of the bearings. So they're a wste of time and money.

screenman

Legendary Member
So lean the bike to the right which makes them not a waste of time or money. Must admit although I keep the chain clean when I do use the cleaner I am suprised how much muck comes off.

Now if the question was do you need one or not, then I would say you do not need one.

boydj

Legendary Member
I use one, but with a light lube in the reservoir - Pro-link Gold. Gets the chain clean, and leaves it lubricated without the faff of cleaning out the degreaser. Run the chain through a cloth afterwards to soak up the excess lube and the job's done.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You'll buy one anyway. Use it...realise it's crap and put it in the shed to gather dust. A rag is all you need.

No I dont think so. Thats the good thing about being on here. You can actually save money by not buying all these new fangled things that other people have tried for you.

400bhp

Guru
I have used one.

When i got back into cycling after a 10 ish year layoff i bought one. I wondered why i never needed one before

You fill up the reservoir, spin the crank, gunk gets sprayed out the back of the wheel and on the floor. Gunk turns to suds on the chain.

Result is a chain that needs cleaning and drying and messy floor. Plus the machine becomes very grimy.

I imagine useful if you are a heavy duty mbk er and you are giving the bike a large shakedown, then its ok. For road bikes utterly pointless tat.

Coincidentally i got a free chain cleaner with a chain i bought last
week. I wont be using it.

Top Bottom