Chain Cleaning Sponge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I bought some Fenwick’s Chain Cleaning Sponges which are really good. I’ve been using these once, then throwing them away but I’ve since been told that these can be used more than once. What is the best way to clean them?

Thanks

J

Reactions: mjr

PK99

Legendary Member
Hi there

I bought some Fenwick’s Chain Cleaning Sponges which are really good. I’ve been using these once, then throwing them away but I’ve since been told that these can be used more than once. What is the best way to clean them?

Thanks

J
The best ideas are sometimes the simplest. The tough new Fenwicks Chain Cleaning Sponge was conceived as a way of applying even pressure to all sides of a chain, for rapid cleaning with minimal mess. Best used on a chain prepared with Fenwick's Foaming Chain Cleaner, the sponge also washes clean very easily with FS-1/FS-10 when you're finished. It may not look much but if cleaned after every use, it will clean up chains time and time again.

To view our Tools & Cleaners buying guide click here

Use
Apply Fenwick’s FOAMING CHAIN CLEANER and allow to soak in, Insert chain into ‘V’ slot of sponge on the lower section of the chain, Holding sponge firmly in position, run the chain backwards through the sponge for 30 seconds, Rinse the chain thoroughly with clean water, Re-lube with any Fenwick’s chain lube, To clean the sponge, just apply some FENWICK’S FOAMING CHAIN CLEANER to the ‘V’ slot straight after use, rub it in and rinse thoroughly.

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
The best ideas are sometimes the simplest. The tough new Fenwicks Chain Cleaning Sponge was conceived as a way of applying even pressure to all sides of a chain, for rapid cleaning with minimal mess. Best used on a chain prepared with Fenwick's Foaming Chain Cleaner, the sponge also washes clean very easily with FS-1/FS-10 when you're finished. It may not look much but if cleaned after every use, it will clean up chains time and time again.

To view our Tools & Cleaners buying guide click here

Use
Apply Fenwick’s FOAMING CHAIN CLEANER and allow to soak in, Insert chain into ‘V’ slot of sponge on the lower section of the chain, Holding sponge firmly in position, run the chain backwards through the sponge for 30 seconds, Rinse the chain thoroughly with clean water, Re-lube with any Fenwick’s chain lube, To clean the sponge, just apply some FENWICK’S FOAMING CHAIN CLEANER to the ‘V’ slot straight after use, rub it in and rinse thoroughly.

Thanks for that. I wonder if it would be too late to clean the sponge now; I've left it lying uncleaned for a week?

Reactions: mjr

Gary E

Veteran
I've been thinking of trying these sponges for a while now. Your post has tipped me over the edge - just ordered a couple of them and a litre of the FS-1 cleaning fluid.

I spent a good 10 minutes trying to find the FS-10 that was in PK99's post (purely on the theory that the higher the number, the better it is obviously) only to find out that FS-10 is just FS-1 diluted 10-1 :laugh:

Gary E

Veteran
Just in case anyone is interested, Wiggle are doing a litre of FS-1 for £5.94. So if you throw a couple of the Sponges in (at £1.57 each) you go just over their "spend more than £9 for free delivery" offer (£9.08) :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've been thinking of trying these sponges for a while now. Your post has tipped me over the edge - just ordered a couple of them and a litre of the FS-1 cleaning fluid.

I spent a good 10 minutes trying to find the FS-10 that was in PK99's post (purely on the theory that the higher the number, the better it is obviously) only to find out that FS-10 is just FS-1 diluted 10-1 :laugh:
FS-1 isn't the foaming can. Does it matter?

Gary E

Veteran
I think the FS-1 is for cleaning the Sponge after you've used it. I have a load of various chain cleaning products to use on the chain itself.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think the FS-1 is for cleaning the Sponge after you've used it. I have a load of various chain cleaning products to use on the chain itself.
As @PK99 posted, the instructions are "To clean the sponge, just apply some FENWICK’S FOAMING CHAIN CLEANER to the ‘V’ slot straight after use, rub it in and rinse thoroughly." That's why I wondered if FS-1 also works because it's quite a bit cheaper. FS-10 doesn't...

OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi guys - thanks for all your replies. I cleaned the sponge last night with the foam stuff and its come off very well - so no need to buy new sponges eveyr 5 minutes!

Top Bottom