Chain Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well, let's see what a chain manufacturer recommends...

Lubrication

- lubricate the chain every time you clean it, scrub it, or wash it with any solvent (the usage of solvent is
not recommended!
);
- before lubricating, make sure the chain is dry;
- use a lubricant which initially penetrates the chain's bearing, and then turns'sticky' or'dry'. In this way
you can reach the chain parts which are most sensitive to wear;
- make sure you are using the appropriate lubricant - you can test it by spraying some on your hand-first
it feels like water (penetration), after some time it should become sticky or This'simple' chain is
probably the dry (durable lubrication);
- in order to avoid a build-up of excess grease, try to apply it on the critical places only, like the rollers.
Applying grease there helps to reduce chain wear and noise;
- apply just a little grease on the rest of the chain to prevent rust;
- remove excess grease from the outside of the chain;
- in the case of derailleur bikes: do not forget to pay some attention to the derailleur pulleys, chainrings
and cassette sprockets. Use the same principle as above for maintaining and lubricating them
- after lubricating, use a dry cloth to remove excess grease from the chain's outside, this prevents
attracting excessive amounts of dirt and dust.

Before re-connecting your chain, do not forget to clean the chain's ends inner bearings of chain ends, to make sure no dirt remains there. After cleaning, and before applying the connecting link, apply some grease inside and on the connector's pins.

http://www.kmcchain.com/index.php?ln=en&fn=service&PHPSESSID=3499f23d59873190ea7f6c49b392ba9f#3

BentMikey said:
Your logic has self-defeated!!!! You want to keep the chain grease inside, yet capillary action is there to flush the old dirty grease out, and replace it with new clean oil, whilst conveniently forgetting about the crud that new oil will be bringing with it, because you can't wipe it all off. You can't have it both ways, your plan looks rather like it relies on witchdoctor medicine.

I didn't mention chain grease. What is chain grease?

Sorry if I haven't explained myself very well, you're clearly of the impression that I apply lube to a manky chain and that isn't the case. What I do is wipe the chain first. I use a dry cotton rag and wipe it until I cant wipe any more crud off (one of the benefits of maintaining the chain the way I do is that it doesn't attract much crap anyway so this part process takes a minute to do). Then I lube the chain using a good quality lube. I turn the pedals and apply the lube to the links as it rotates. Then I wipe it all off. The chain is now wet with lube. I turn the chain a few times to allow the lube to penetrate inside the chain and then wipe it all off again. The old lube within the chain has now mixed with the new so I'm wiping away much of the old lube with the excess new lube. Then I reapply new lube, wipe it off and continue the process, eventually the rag wont pick up any more mank. After a few miles I wipe off the chain again as excess newly-applied lube will have worked its way out. I'm left with a chain which has mostly fresh lube on its inside surfaces and a microns thick coating of lube on its exterior surfaces.
The benefits of doing it this way are;

There is no need to remove the chain from the bike.
There is no exposure to volatile compounds such as white spirit or petrol.
You aren't replacing the lube already within the chain with anything other than fresh lube.

I have a workshop and a workstand next door, in the interests of science I'm going to lube my mountain bike chain in a bit and time the process.

mondobongo

Über Member
Plax GT85 is not suitable for use on a bike chain, get yourself some proper lube, Halfords normally carry Finish Line Products which are fine. This time of year I would go for a wet lube a dry lube will be off your chain in a flash.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Thanks Mondobongo, I shall get some Finish line when I'm next at Halfrauds, I did see some there when I got the chain cleaning contraption. Used it tonight, and was amazed at all the dirt and grit at the bottom! I knew my chain was dirty but not that dirty!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Mickle, the problem is that you are working with a manky chain. I can see your logic in that you're continually oil-cleaning your chain, but I think it's not very effective because of all the parts you're missing when cleaning with a cloth. I can see the attraction of minimal effort, but really you're just living with a somewhat dirty chain.

The reference to grease being that some bicycle chains have grease in them when sold new, rather than oil.

No. Thats the whole point actually me old fruit!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
So you say, but I doubt it, especially not when looked at under a microscope.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure your method is a reasonable compromise between effort and results, but slanted towards minimal effort and not too focused on proper cleanliness.

domtyler

Über Member
BentMikey said:
So you say, but I doubt it, especially not when looked at under a microscope.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure your method is a reasonable compromise between effort and results, but slanted towards minimal effort and not too focused on proper cleanliness.

What benefit does one get from a super clean chain as opposed to a quite clean one?

Cab

So am I the only person who sprays on loads of WD40, rides around for a bit, leaves it to dry, maybe does the same again, then oils the chain? Occasional application of that PFTE spray stuff inbetween?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
domtyler said:
What benefit does one get from a super clean chain as opposed to a quite clean one?

Thats a sensible question. I think I already posted my opinion on the compromise of Mickle's solution a couple of posts up. I'm not sure that "quite clean" would be an accurate description of the results of his cleaning method though. I would put it more as "quite dirty", but perhaps acceptable for a fleet of hire bikes.

Top Bottom