Chain Dumping off small front chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Dog fang will not stop it dropping off.
My experience also.
I use one of these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-KREX-CNC-Chain-Catcher-Clamp-For-ROAD-MTB-31-8mm-Black-/140857146913
$(KGrHqVHJBEFBbbnMVUVBQYnliF!Ww~~60_12.JPG

boydj

Legendary Member
I had this problem, but only when I was already using either of the two largest cogs at the rear. Anticipating that the granny ring might be needed and changing to that before going too far up at the back usually prevented chain drop. I have installed a chain-catcher to prevent the problem completely. No amount of tweaking the limit screw could avoid the problem.

woohoo

Veteran
Co-incidence or otherwise, I haven't had a chain drop off the small chainring after I fitted a dog fang. It had happened a few times before. The guys in my LBS tell that some manufacturers e.g. Bianchi fit them as standard.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Co-incidence or otherwise, I haven't had a chain drop off the small chainring after I fitted a dog fang. It had happened a few times before. The guys in my LBS tell that some manufacturers e.g. Bianchi fit them as standard.
If you derailier is set up right you don't need a dog fang, the dog fang will protect your frame if the chain does drop of.

Tom B

Guru
Dog fang will not stop it dropping off.
MIL got a dog fang, chain just chopped through it and it got in the way of putting it back on in the middle of a sportive.

I'd rather cure the issue of it coming off... New granny wheel would be my best bet.

Tom B

Guru
Don't use the granny ring, works for me.

My "fix broken things" Ocd would not live with that!

Top Bottom