Chain fallen off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robgul

Legendary Member
I was amazed to see this https://www.bikebiz.com/rehook-now-stocked-by-halfords/ - a) because it begs the question of why the chain falls off a well-maintained bike, and b) what fingers can't achieve either with a bit of plastic bag as protection, or a plastic glove freely available from petrol stations. It's £12.99

This item was mentioned by a couple of club members when I was running our LBS and I made, in less than 5 minutes, a rather elegant "hook" from an old spoke that did the job admirably - weighed less than the Rehook and could be stowed in an under-seat pouch along with the usual tube etc..

I suppose it'll go down in the annals of cycling with the Reevu helmet and a few other howlers.

Rob

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Maybe it's for scratching your head, while you stare at the bike and wonder what's wrong ? :whistle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I suppose Halfords don't care whether the product is any good, they just hope to get sales on the back of the Dragons' Den publicity.

Surprising to me that all five Dragons made the guy an offer.

But then, they have the money and I don't.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This reminds me of seeing a post years ago (maybe on here, maybe somewhere else) where someone was asking about getting elbow protection pads because they kept falling off due to not unclipping from the pedals.

Well ... that would indeed be one approach, but it doesn't really address the root cause. :smile:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Chains can fall off bikes with a single chainring and a rear derailleur quite frequently. They sometimes fall off bikes with a front derailleur too, although a bit of judicious manipulation of the front mech (easier without STI) often re-rails them.

Anyway, what's wrong with using your fingers and wiping them on your shorts afterwards? That's why shorts are usually black, isn't it? ^_^

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Chains can fall off bikes with a single chainring and a rear derailleur quite frequently.

That's my experience.

The chain has jumped off the front ring several times over the years on my 1X10 compact ebike, possibly due to changing gear and pitching over a bump or pothole at the same time.

It got quite badly jammed on a forum ride.

Fortunately, I was assisted by a forum member whose user name I forget.

He's a mobile bike mechanic, @ColinJ might remember.

presta

Guru
I made, in less than 5 minutes, a rather elegant "hook" from an old spoke that did the job admirably - weighed less than the Rehook and could be stowed in an under-seat pouch

Anything that you keep leaves you with the choice of either making your luggage greasy, or finding something to clean it with afterwards.

In order of preference, I use either:
a) A twig from the side of the road, or
b) A leaf to hold the chain, or
c) The road surface as a pumice to clean the small patch of grease off the tip of my finger.

That said, the last time my chain came off was in August 2011.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I currently have 10 fingers that are permanently attached to my body (for now), can't for the life of me think why one of these is useful - unless you are worried about getting oil on your white bar tape - then it's your fault for white bar tape.

My MTB came with matching white bar grips - they were binned as soon as I got the bike home - white on an MTB :wacko:

OP
OP
robgul

robgul

Legendary Member
I currently have 10 fingers that are permanently attached to my body (for now), can't for the life of me think why one of these is useful - unless you are worried about getting oil on your white bar tape - then it's your fault for white bar tape.

My MTB came with matching white bar grips - they were binned as soon as I got the bike home - white on an MTB :wacko:

White bartape should be declared illegal, along with any cycling shorts that aren't just black.

Rob

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The chain has jumped off the front ring several times over the years on my 1X10 compact ebike, possibly due to changing gear and pitching over a bump or pothole at the same time.

It got quite badly jammed on a forum ride.

Fortunately, I was assisted by a forum member whose user name I forget.

He's a mobile bike mechanic, @ColinJ might remember.
@rusty bearing?

He doesn't seem to have been on the forum since July 2019. Hopefully he will reappear at some point.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My latest build has white bar tape, although I went out of my way to get wipe-clean stuff. I'm not completely nuts.

Top Bottom