Chain fallen off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I currently have 10 fingers that are permanently attached to my body (for now), can't for the life of me think why one of these is useful - unless you are worried about getting oil on your white bar tape - then it's your fault for white bar tape.
Wow! I only have 8; got a couple of opposable thumbs though. ^_^

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Anything that you keep leaves you with the choice of either making your luggage greasy, or finding something to clean it with afterwards.

In order of preference, I use either:
a) A twig from the side of the road, or
b) A leaf to hold the chain, or
c) The road surface as a pumice to clean the small patch of grease off the tip of my finger.

That said, the last time my chain came off was in August 2011.

How do you know that? Was that the last time you rode a bike?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Haha!
Just saw this thread, must share my experience.
Recently half a dozen of us ladies were on a ride.
We parked up for the coffee stop, two bikes got entangled somehow, on moving off again one chain had come off.
I was ready to don my plastic gloves, when the owner of the bike said, no, please, I must use this tool I got as stocking filler - it was the op's hook.
I went uhmmm, of course .... the result was that the tool got stuck in the chain :laugh:
We had a chain stuck in the front derailleur, and now a hook stack in the chain :laugh:
I put my gloves on, broke the hook easily from the chain (it's plastic!), moved the front derailleur to middle, turned the back wheel, et voila', back in motion.
I told the lady to ask for her money back as this tool is poo (statement backed by pictures we took), she messaged me later telling me she got a full refund.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Haha!
Just saw this thread, must share my experience.
Recently half a dozen of us ladies were on a ride.
We parked up for the coffee stop, two bikes got entangled somehow, on moving off again one chain had come off.
I was ready to don my plastic gloves, when the owner of the bike said, no, please, I must use this tool I got as stocking filler - it was the op's hook.
I went uhmmm, of course .... the result was that the tool got stuck in the chain :laugh:
We had a chain stuck in the front derailleur, and now a hook stack in the chain :laugh:
I put my gloves on, broke the hook easily from the chain (it's plastic!), moved the front derailleur to middle, turned the back wheel, et voila', back in motion.
I told the lady to ask for her money back as this tool is poo (statement backed by pictures we took), she messaged me later telling me she got a full refund.

Which reminds me, your chain flew off beside whatever loch it was when you were hammering it for the train and I was keeping pace.

I put it down to the power you were pushing out.

presta

Guru
That is proper steep.

The chain coming off must have been a welcome relief.
The big climb of the day was after I put the chain back on: England's highest road over Harthope to Teesdale.
(Then up Teesdale, and over to Alston hostel in South Tynedale.)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The big climb of the day was after I put the chain back on: England's highest road over Harthope to Teesdale.
(Then up Teesdale, and over to Alston hostel in South Tynedale.)

I scoped some of that route in my car a while back as research for a forum ride.

I didn't fancy it, even though I have an ebike.

Best not to inflict it on others.

The other point is that some of the steep gradients were narrow with sharp bends.

Not a good idea for a bunch with no experience of the area.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
No, I just remember where I was. I'd just come over the tops from Edmundbyers into Weardale, so that would make it Tuesday 23.8.11.
Don't try it on a Brompton. Trust me on this.

(I did St John's Chapel to Langdon Beck, and it was horrible)

presta

Guru
I scoped some of that route in my car a while back as research for a forum ride.

I didn't fancy it, even though I have an ebike.

Best not to inflict it on others.

The other point is that some of the steep gradients were narrow with sharp bends.

Steep long descents make your hands throb if there's no straight bit where you can let go of the brakes for a rest.

Don't try it on a Brompton. Trust me on this.

(I did St John's Chapel to Langdon Beck, and it was horrible)
Never ridden the likes of a Brompton, but I wouldn't fancy a steep descent with small wheels in case they tend to get trapped by a pothole, and the brakes are more prone to overheating. Bottom gear on mine is 17.5", but I don't know how that compares.

presta

Guru
Just thinking, the next day from Alston to Hawes might have put the wind up some.

Climbing Mallerstang my eye kept being drawn to a couple of standing stones silhouetted on the skyline that I'd never noticed before. Then I noticed one of them move, and as I climbed further I realised the whole fellside was covered in scores of trainspotters waiting to snap a pic of a steam train on the Settle-Carlisle. It came through just as I reached the section at the top where the road runs next to the track.

That was when all hell broke loose. After it passed they all jumped in their cars, floored the throttle, and chased after it. The road is a series of blind switchbacks, and as I disappeared out of sight in the dips the cars were screaming past in the pouring rain, almost going airborne over the tops of the humps. :wacko:

Top Bottom