Chain issues and damaged spokes

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

A little story here.

I was cycling up to a set of traffic lights and they turned red so I started shifting back up to an easier gear, I heard some clunks and clanks and my back wheel locked up - damn, my chain has gone into my spokes. The chain had overshifted and forced itself between the hub and the spokes, snapping one of them and getting itself tangled up in the process.

Ten minutes later and the chain is untangled and I'm left with a scratched rim, a scratched bike and a snapped spoke :sad:

How much are these things to fix?

Hip Priest

Veteran
Usually around a tenner for a spoke & true at your LBS. Sorting the gears is just a matter of using the limit screws. Look at some tutorials online, or else your LBS could probably do it reasonably cheaply.

All in all, don't worry, you won't have to spend megabucks!

Andrew Brown

Recently I found our premium lbs did a spoke change and true for 7 quid, I almost fell over, I expected much more. A while back a different shop charged me 4 quid per spoke just for parts to fix myself... It varies a hell of a lot it seems, both in value and service.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I was expecting it to be much more expensive! Will put it into the shop tomorrow, still can't believe that happened :ohmy:

IMG_0970.JPG

outlash

also available in orange
That happened to me on Sunday's club run. Snapped spoke and the wheel seems pretty out of shape. A mate of mine seems to think a new spoke and a bit of patience will sort the wheel out and he's already sorted out the derailleur (Hip Priest is spot on about the limiting screws). Maybe budget £30 for the whole lot?

Tony.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Recently I found our premium lbs did a spoke change and true for 7 quid, I almost fell over, I expected much more. A while back a different shop charged me 4 quid per spoke just for parts to fix myself... It varies a hell of a lot it seems, both in value and service.
£4. for a single spoke! For that money I'd want it to be made of solid 24 carat gold.

Andrew Brown

Indeed, shop I thought would be cheap was a rip off, and I found that the shop I expected to be expensive was actually very cheap, they even bought a jig to make correct spokes for one of my other wheels, charged me 70p a spoke for custom spares I think... Bonkers.

Col5632

Guru
You have had no luck at all with that bike :cycle:

Top Bottom