Chain lube fashion trends?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spire

To the point
Until recently both of the two LBSs I use have been recommending White Lightning wax chain lube. Now both seem to be saying old-fashioned oil-type lubes are best for me.

Have they gone mad?

(I am a grinder and they are blaming my premature cassette/chain wear on my choice of lube.)

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I used to use White Lightening until I wore out a chain in 500 miles!

LBS reckoned it needs to be applied several times a day to be effective. I use Ceramic Pro Road now. Brilliant stuff.

Gerry Attrick said:

LBS reckoned it needs to be applied several times a day to be effective. I use Ceramic Pro Road now. Brilliant stuff.
+1 I was recommended White Lightning when I bought the Bianchi but after reading/ asking around I got similar views and switched to Pro Road and I've not been disappointed.

OP
OP
spire

spire

To the point
Gerry Attrick said:

LBS reckoned it needs to be applied several times a day to be effective.

My experience was similar. I wore a chain and cassette out in 1200 miles. I guess that's why sentiment has changed.

jimboalee

I exclusively use a Silicone/Wax furniture polish which was left on my desk at work by a chap who was made redundant from the cleaner's company.

He noticed I 'borrowed' it to lube my bike chain, so did me a favour when he left.

The wax polish is in an aerosol so goes into the rollers liquid. The solvent vaps off to leave a dry-to-touch finish. I wipe off the excess while it's still liquid.
It doesn't attract road-shoot like oil or the other 'sticky' lubes.

Using the 'Mickle method' chain lubing takes no more than a minute.

I change a chain after about 10,000 miles.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
jimboalee said:
I exclusively use a Silicone/Wax furniture polish which was left on my desk at work by a chap who was made redundant from the cleaner's company.

He noticed I 'borrowed' it to lube my bike chain, so did me a favour when he left.

The wax polish is in an aerosol so goes into the rollers liquid. The solvent vaps off to leave a dry-to-touch finish. I wipe off the excess while it's still liquid.
It doesn't attract road-shoot like oil or the other 'sticky' lubes.

Using the 'Mickle method' chain lubing takes no more than a minute.

I change a chain after about 10,000 miles.
Called ???

How does it perform in the wet - or do you just re-lub after every ride ?

Probably the best-smelling chain around :biggrin:

Hont

Guru
I'm using White Lightning and it seems to be fine for me - done about 2500 miles using it and chain is still fine. It is best for dry weather riding, though, and you do need to re-apply every 50-100 miles.

If you do a lot of riding in wet conditions, then I could see why the LBS would not recommend it as it's better at shedding dirt than water.

Having said that they may recommend oil lubes because they pick up so much shoot that the groupset wears out quicker.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Clean Ride (i.e. wax) is best for dry riding, and in dusty conditions. Do re-apply frequently though.

I use both Clean Ride and Wet ride on the work/MTB bike, wet for most of the time though.

jimboalee

scoosh said:
Called ???

How does it perform in the wet - or do you just re-lub after every ride ?

Probably the best-smelling chain around :biggrin:

Premier Products, SUPER MIRAGE POLISH SPRAY AEROSOL – Lemon flavour

Water just runs off it.

I spray weekly and the chain runs smooth and silent.

yello

pp195b.jpg

:ohmy:

jimboalee

Dave5N said:
Oil

As you know, steel on steel wears much more quickly than steel grit interaction. You need proper lubrication.

I'm the one who pays for my new chains.

After 40 years of buying chains and using oil and all-comer scio-sophysticated chain lubes that hit the market, my choice is now Wax Polish.

Don't use it if you don't want to.

Dave5N

Über Member
jimboalee said:
I'm the one who pays for my new chains.

After 40 years of buying chains and using oil and all-comer scio-sophysticated chain lubes that hit the market, my choice is now Wax Polish.

Don't use it if you don't want to.

Not tried so I don't know if it works. I'll ask my in-house tribologist when I next see him. :biggrin:

I do think mega expensive chain lubes are pointless when there is oil.

Top Bottom