Chain lubrication, the balance of pros versus cons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Thank you for getting this thread back on its sprocket (straying off into Chloride Induced Stress Corrosion Cracking (use 316 bolts not 304 in a maritime operating environment)).
Can I ask what you mean by "cleaned" and "regular" (aka frequent?), Guy?
Oil and wipe; Oil and wipe. How much cleaning effect do think such a regime has? If done daily (say) is that "over-lubrication"? Would it be worse than not lubricating.
In my experience, I've found that Just lube and no real chain cleaning leads to a build up of black gunk.

This is my usual approach:

!.) On a nice dry Summer day's road riding, I find a wipe down with a rag, a bit of lube and then another wipe with a rag is suffice after a few rides.
2.) On a wet, muddy day, I'll wash down with a garden hose nozzle, then a wipe down with a rag, a bit of lube and then another wipe with a rag after every ride or two depending on how muddy the chain.

I've been using industrial Fuch chain Lube for the last year or so, it seems to do the job.

https://shop.lrt-lubricants.co.uk/products/fuchs-chain-lube-500ml-aerosol
_X1_74e072ad-f7af-411c-a547-0880d3342e42_1024x1024.png

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I Mickle my chain.
It gets black and gunky. When I can be arsed I Mickle it again, otherwise I may just add a bit more lube and go. Sometimes bits of this get flicked onto the back wheel. Occasionally black crud builds-up on the jockey wheels.
It always runs smoothly.
A few times a year on special occasions I clean it all properly so it shines like a new pin.
I buy a new cheap 9 speed chain every spring.
I sleep well at nights.

I Mickle my chain.
It gets black and gunky. When I can be arsed I Mickle it again, otherwise I may just add a bit more lube and go. Sometimes bits of this get flicked onto the back wheel. Occasionally black crud builds-up on the jockey wheels.
It always runs smoothly.
A few times a year on special occasions I clean it all properly so it shines like a new pin.
I buy a new cheap 9 speed chain every spring.
I sleep well at nights.

This.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
In my experience, I've found that Just lube and no real chain cleaning leads to a build up of black gunk.

This is my usual approach:

!.) On a nice dry Summer day's road riding, I find a wipe down with a rag, a bit of lube and then another wipe with a rag is suffice after a few rides.
2.) On a wet, muddy day, I'll wash down with a garden hose nozzle, then a wipe down with a rag, a bit of lube and then another wipe with a rag after every ride or two depending on how muddy the chain.

I've been using industrial Fuch chain Lube for the last year or so, it seems to do the job.

https://shop.lrt-lubricants.co.uk/products/fuchs-chain-lube-500ml-aerosol
View attachment 613580
Mmm, that looks worth a punt….

Deep cleaned the exped bike's chain the other day - dried, ran chain round twice while oiling - rode round the park a few times to work the oil in. Then oiled again before crossing the pennines on it.

(I oil a lot just after cleaning, then less frequently)

I can definitely feel that it's running smoother since I cleaned the road grot and debris out of the chain.

And lubed the thing.

I can't for the life of me think that the OP is in any way right (sorry - don't have PaulSBs tact) - god help us in my opinion if our forefathers and mothers had followed his system - the industrial revolution would have ground to a halt amidst a load of seized scrap metal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
silva

silva

Über Member
As PaulSB said, it was more the wrong lubricant than just not needing any.

As you yourself say here lubrication reduces friction, which not only reduces wear, but also reduces the effort required to propel your bike.

Dry lubes don't cause stickyness (unless you put far too much on) and are what you should be using for most of the summer. In wetter conditions, if you carry on using a dry lube, you will need to re-lube after every ride.
much
And you say "It's not "over lubrication", just "lubrication", with oil or any low viscous substance, including water." You should never be using just "oil", that is going to be wetter and stickier than even a decent "wet" chain lube.
Proof is proof.
Without low viscous / oil lubrication, my chains lengtening rate drastically reduced.
All I did with the new chain, is putting grease on the externals of the chain, to prevent rust.
And so far, some weeks later, one small retensioning needed. After a new mounted chain, that's remarkable.

Look at the motorcycle world. Some chains have sealing between the link parts, in order to prevent external particles getting in. They also prevent internally worn off particles getting out.
If the latter were a similar let alone a higher wear cause, the much more expensive sealing would serve nothing, a cost for nothing.
Therefore, and as said, it's chosing the least worse of problems.

*sigh*

Alex321

Veteran
Proof is proof.
Without low viscous / oil lubrication, my chains lengtening rate drastically reduced.

Proof is indeed proof.

But you have provided zero evidence, never mind any proof to suggest it is beneficial to not lubricate your chain properly.

You have only provided evidence that using the wrong lubricants doesn't improve matters over using none.

And so far, some weeks later, one small retensioning needed. After a new mounted chain, that's remarkable.
I'm not sure Id' say it is remarkable that you needed to retension it, but it is certainly quite unusual to need to do so with a modern chain. You seem to think it a good thing you needed to. I don't understand why.

With a properly lubricated chain, it is very rare you would need to do anything.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I hadn't intended to read this thread again it caught my eye in an idle moment.

A serious question. Can someone explain what is the "chain tensioning" the OP talks about?

I don't do any serious mechanics on my bike but in all the years of visiting the same LBS I've never been told "just needed to re-tension the chain Paul." Is this a thing? I think the OP is on a dingle-speed, does this make a difference?

Alex321

Veteran
I hadn't intended to read this thread again it caught my eye in an idle moment.

A serious question. Can someone explain what is the "chain tensioning" the OP talks about?

I don't do any serious mechanics on my bike but in all the years of visiting the same LBS I've never been told "just needed to re-tension the chain Paul." Is this a thing? I think the OP is on a dingle-speed, does this make a difference?
TBH, I'm not sure what he meant either. Not something I've ever had to do. It implies his chain is stretching within a few weeks of installation,which should never happen.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
TBH, I'm not sure what he meant either. Not something I've ever had to do. It implies his chain is stretching within a few weeks of installation,which should never happen.
Exactly. I understand cable stretch and I can understand how a chain can apparently "lengthen" through wear but not in weeks. Nor do I understand how retentioning can be done.

Chains don't "lengthen" they wear and no longer sit properly in my view. Separate and measure and a £ to a p the length won't have altered.

Top Bottom