Chain oil for bikes - cheaper alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Anyone mentioned WD40 yet ? :reading:
I'm not going to say anything as you don't believe how good it is

DaveS

When I rode a chain-driven motorbike I used to take off the chain and boil it in a big round tin of black wax, which penetrated the links and resisted being flung off. Anything lighter would end up spattered all over the rear of the bike. Shaft drive was a fantastic little bit of technology, especially on a commuter.

Used to be called Linklyfe. I still use it on my bicycle chains. I get the wax quite hot (I have it decanted into a cheap deep fat fryer), leave the chain in it to soak for about 5 mins, and also to come fully to temperature. I use a wire coat hanger on the chain ends to lift it in and out. I lift it out slowly so that most of the excess drains off, then drop it onto an old towel and dry it off.
Once completed, lube job lasts for ages and is highly water resistant. Also makes the transmission very quiet.
The base product lasts so long I really don't remember when I bought it. Still available from good motorcycle shops.

tyred

Legendary Member
Remove chain, take to local chippy, drop in deep fat fryer when staff aren't looking for a few minutes and you have chain with hot oil thinned to go into the bushings and all for free. You also get very fit trying to outrun all the dogs that will follow the smell.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Remove chain, take to local chippy, drop in deep fat fryer when staff aren't looking for a few minutes and you have chain with hot oil thinned to go into the bushings and all for free. You also get very fit trying to outrun all the dogs that will follow the smell.
Might actually improve the flavour in some of the Leicester Chip shops. :whistle:

iggibizzle

I use plain old 3in1 and have done since last winter. I clean the chain with gt85 and a rag after a wet ride or if it's gunked up and put the tiniest of drops on each roller. The can i used cost me £3 from sainsburys and after over a year of riding in all weathers and relubing regularly, I've used well under half of it.

My previous lube was the progold stuff and I found it wasn't lasting very well. I'm really happy with 3in1

Another vote for 3in1 here! :becool:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
3 in 1 is a spindle oil, with citronella added. Spindle oil is a low viscosity oil used for textile mills. It coats the spindles, keeps them from rusting during shut down, and acts as an anti corrosive. It also doesn't stain fabric. (According to BP, who, in my area, have many a gas station, but few pumps that are in operating condition). But this aside, it seems that spindle oil may be a good, non-gumming solution to the endless and entertaining perennial question of what one should lubricate a bicycle chain with. The keeping qualities of paraffin and the viscosity of a fine Merlot.

Drago

Legendary Member
Development of shaft-drive power transmission for bicycles, that's what we need (and a huge reduction in price of Rolhoff hubs), the we can all do away with chains and their lube :whistle:

Do away with the reservoir of lube in a Rolhoff and you'll be left with several kilos of scrap.

I'm surprised belt drive isn't more popular for workaday bikes. I had a ride on a Trek Soho a while back and it was a lovely bike, would make a superb low maintenance commuter.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I used to use to use Finishline Wetlube. It collects smeg off the road and you end up with crap all over the drivetrain during the winter months. My brother gave me a load of chainsaw oil, I started using that as everyone said it is great. Now I still get crap attracted to the drivetrain and I get the added bonus of a fine layer of oil all over my rear wheel as well. :angry::whistle:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I used to use to use Finishline Wetlube. It collects smeg off the road and you end up with crap all over the drivetrain during the winter months. My brother gave me a load of chainsaw oil, I started using that as everyone said it is great. Now I still get crap attracted to the drivetrain and I get the added bonus of a fine layer of oil all over my rear wheel as well. :angry::whistle:
Wipe the excess off before riding. :banghead:

hoski

Veteran
Mickle with finishline wet. Wipe properly.

Summer, no crud. Winter, no crud. Chain lasts ages.

Seriously. Wipe properly. Oh, and don't squeeze the fecking bottle. Just turn it upside down and dab.

I've had this bottle four years and there's still plenty left.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Glad I found this thread as I was going to start one about weather anyone has used chainsaw oil on their bikes or not. I put chainsaw oil on yesterday as I ran out of the cheap halfords stuff I was using. I reckon I wont be going back to bicycle lube again after my silky smooth ride today. Was a bit sticky when I initially put it on but after wiping the excess off for a few minutes it cleaned up nicely. Happy days

Top Bottom