Chain Powerlink Question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
Hi all, a query regarding chain removal and replacement. If I am using a Shimano chain and I need to remove it for whatever reason, is it the case that I can only rejoin it with a Shimano pin or would a KMC powerlink be okay to use? I have read in a manual that Shimano chains don't work with powerlinks and require the pin to be used. Also if I have removed a full link what would I use to replace that? I purchased a new Shimano chain and it has a split type pin included for joining the links but I will need a replacement pin if I need to remove it or will I? :sad:
Help appeciated. Gez

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Have used powerlinks on Shimano chains with no problems.

I think you would have read that Shimano chains are not supplied with master links. They certainly work with master links. If you have removed an entire link (two half links) you will have to replace it with another link and use two master links to join it. Never push out a shimano link link when breaking the chain again. Break it elsewhere.

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
DSC_0448.JPG
DSC_0447.JPG
DSC_0447.JPG
DSC_0447.JPG

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
When you have discovered how wonderful KMC missing links are........get a KMC chain too.

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Will do that next time. Might just use the powerlink when I get around to using the Shimano chain. Thanks everyone. Gez

Top Bottom