Chain problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Saves cleaning it? :smile:
And buying a chain tool (though useful for other chain-related jobs)

You'd need a chain tool to reduce the new chain to the right length.

Likely to be required to remove the old chain as well, assuming it’s the original chain that came with the bike.

Last edited:

stalagmike

Enormous member
Even though you say you are not 'technically minded', I would have a go at mending it yourself if you can. It's not a very difficult job and you'll be surprised at the sense of achievement you'll feel if you get it working smoothly again all by yourself. What have you got to lose by having a go?

OP
OP
Wixsteman

Wixsteman

Veteran
Thanks for all you help, I popped into Halfords when the kids were at swimming lessons and got a quick link from there my son says he’s got a chain tool (if he can find it). I’m going to order the chain tool that @smutchin linked and another quick link as a spare. If I can fix It i will be pretty chuffed if not il get a new chain. This is my first bike in about 30 years and my grampa used to fix my old bikes :blush:.

OP
OP
Wixsteman

Wixsteman

Veteran
Back to Halfords tomorrow, I asked for an eight speed Claris quick link my sons just pointed out it’s a 11 speed one the mechanic gave me. I take it I won’t be able to use that one?

OP
OP
Wixsteman

Wixsteman

Veteran
To be fair he tried to show me how to change the link and took time to explain the process. I’ve had a bit of luck when they made mistakes with their price tags saved £3 on my cleats onSunday and £15 on sealskinz gloves ^_^

OP
OP
Wixsteman

Wixsteman

Veteran
My first time in Evans was Monday morning and that was my experience too had a look round and left

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Make sure you get the right replacement link to match your chain (which depends on the number of gears on the rear wheel - 8/9/10/11).

And, in the case of KMC 8-speed links, the width of the chain (can be either 7.1mm or 7.3mm, as I found out the hard way).

Top Bottom