Chain removal tool, why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jethro10

Über Member
I recently had bough as a present a nice multitool with a chain link remover.

so I've now figured out how it works.

Why would I need one of these out in the field and should I get some of these 'master links' or quick links whatever they be called.

what sort of thing goes wrong that I may need to fix with this while not at home? I assume there must be if tools have em and I'm worried now!

Jeff

Plax

Guru
You may never need to use it on the road, but it is a useful thing to have.
On one CTC ride I was on somebodies chain snapped. So we used it to remove the broken link and replaced the broken link with a SRAM power link. If you didn't have a powerlink of some kind and your chain snapped you could always just remove the broken link and re-attach the chain. The chain will still work but you'd not be able to use the full range of gears due to the shorter chain length. It would get you home or to a LBS though rather than leave you stranded.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've never bothered with power links. I kind of like doing it with the tool...just seems like a simpler, neater solution.

A good few years back I was out on my MTB in the middle of nowhere and my chain snapped. I was buggered, no quick links or chain splitter.
While I was pondering what to do I was passed by two very dodgy looking characters, both on MTBs. Anyway after a couple of minutes they turned round and came back. I thought 'oh here we go'.
One of them says 'have you got a problem' so I explained, he whips out his chain tool and within 10 minutes the offending link is removed and the chain rejoined and im on my way.
Now I learned two things that day. First buy a chain tool and quick links and secondly never judge a book by its cover!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Topeak's Hexus 16 comes with a "C" shaped piece of thin metal that holds the chain as you work on it - really handy, I find, and means you get slightly less cross & dirty...

OP
OP
J

jethro10

Über Member
Rhythm Thief said:
They're fine when the chain's nice and new and clean, and you can find the special link, but trying to split a chain all gunged up with road goo and oil is a lot easier with a chain splitting tool.

Ok, I was doing fine till now.

special link? why so special :tongue:

Jeff

rich p

ridiculous old lush
swee said:
But doesn't inserting a power link keep the chain length though?

zacklaws

Guru
After once breaking my chain many years ago and unable to do a proper repair, I always carried a chain tool with me since. But before chain tools came out, it was just a small nut and a nail with which was enough to use to be able to remove a pin, providing I could find a stone or something similar to use as a hammer.

What had happened was I was returning home from fishing, and my chain broke with about 6 miles to go. With no way of repairing it, I managed to extract the pins from where it broke and threaded fishing line, many times through the holes, reconnecting the chain. I was able to ride home, but I could only pedal so far forward, then had to pedal backwards, all the time preventing the broken part, which was kept at the bottom going round the chain rings and the rear sprocket. It was slow but it worked and I was fortunate the road home was flat.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
zacklaws said:
After once breaking my chain many years ago and unable to do a proper repair, I always carried a chain tool with me since. But before chain tools came out, it was just a small nut and a nail with which was enough to use to be able to remove a pin, providing I could find a stone or something similar to use as a hammer.

What had happened was I was returning home from fishing, and my chain broke with about 6 miles to go. With no way of repairing it, I managed to extract the pins from where it broke and threaded fishing line, many times through the holes, reconnecting the chain. I was able to ride home, but I could only pedal so far forward, then had to pedal backwards, all the time preventing the broken part, which was kept at the bottom going round the chain rings and the rear sprocket. It was slow but it worked and I was fortunate the road home was flat.

;):ohmy::ohmy:faster to push it, no?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Rhythm Thief said:
They're fine when the chain's nice and new and clean, and you can find the special link, but trying to split a chain all gunged up with road goo and oil is a lot easier with a chain splitting tool.

Agreed - I use one like this.

Top Bottom