Chain replacing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray316

Über Member
l need to change my bike chain as it's been on to long and need some help here on a few things.
First what chain do l get.
I have a Specialized racing bike with 2 cogs on the front and 9 cog cassette so where it says 5-8 speed or 9 speed does that mean a 9 speed chain is ok , because as l look at it l have a 18 gear chain .
Also the jockey wheels on the derailleur seem to have play in them , can l replace them without buying the whole derailleur.
Is it a fairly easy job to replace the bike chain and the jockey wheels if these can be done.

S-Express

You need a 9 speed chain, to match the 9 speed cassette on the rear. Jockey wheel play is normal, although without knowing how much play there is, it's not possible to say if they need replacing or not. Probably not, is my guess.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Jockey wheels are designed to have some float, especially the top one, closer to the cassette. This actually improves shifting and reduces noise as the float compensates for any MINOR poor indexing adjustment.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Are you sure your jockey wheels have play in them and it's not just the usual float?

Chain width (which is what the speed number means) is determined by the number of cogs across the rear, so you've a 9 speed for this purpose.

Changing chains is easier if they've a quick link (magic link, power link, whatever brand name you like). If your current one hasn't, make sure your next one does. I like SRAM chains but KMC are good too.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Buy a cheap chain and change it twice as often to protect the rest of your drivetrain is my advice. I've never broken a chain since I was a kid and tried to pull my brother in a metal wagon, even following this advice, although of course quick replacement links are cheap and easy to carry with you if you're worried.

Plus it means you don't have to arse about with lovingly cleaning your chain after every ride, just shove a bit of Wilko oil on it every now and then if it's lucky.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Is it not the norm , to replace your cassette at this stage as well, seeing as it's been so long , it is prob shark toothed , and you could possibly get chain slip .

Flyboy

I thought they did develop shark tooth , my bad . I have had several cassettes that worn that they slipped , but I am talking MTB here .

Personally I would change the cassette as well.

You are confusing the OP and not being helpful by not giving reasons why you personally would change the cassette as well.

Whilst your method is your prerogative, it isn't good practice and it is wasteful, therefore not good general advice.

boydj

Legendary Member
If the chain has been in too long, then the new chain will slip on the cassette and a new cassette will be required. Regular replacement of chains means less frequent replacement of cassettes.

Top Bottom