Chain replacing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
There isn't really a definitive answer to 'how often'. A lot of the 'replacement' timing foe chains & cassettes depends much on - how hard you ride your chain; i.e., do you shove high gears or are you a spinner - ? How dirty & how quickly does the drive train get mucky, thus how often do you properly clean & lube said drive train - ? Etc., etc.. Using a chain stretch guide can be useful and occasional inspection of the state of the teeth of the most used cogs on the cassette. :thumbsup:

T Using a chain stretch guide can be useful and occasional inspection of the state of the teeth of the most used cogs on the cassette. :thumbsup:

Please explain what you would expect to find that indicates that the cassette is beyond use, during such a proposed inspection.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If it's missing teeth like
20150824_195007248_i_OS.jpg

(source )

If it's missing teeth like
View attachment 342268
(source )
Nice photos but not a representative example. This is a single-speed sprocket that's been turned over after it wore out on the one side. A cassette sprocket cannot wear like that because it will skate long before it gets to that stage and of course it cannot be reversed, so the teeth never become that small. On a singlespeed the chain enters the sprocket under tension, whereas on a derailer bike it enters under slack. However, there is something to be learnt fro this photo thanks to the good juxtaposition of the new and used sprocket. Notice how the tooth pitch remains at 1/2 inch no matter how much wear. You can see this where the new and old are placed against each other. One can also get an idea of how the root (valley) of the sprocket wears by increasing it's radius whilst maintaining pitch. Also representative is the hook that develops at the tip of the teeth. On cassette sprockets this will only develop on the trailing edge.

You are confusing the OP and not being helpful by not giving reasons why you personally would change the cassette as well.

Whilst your method is your prerogative, it isn't good practice and it is wasteful, therefore not good general advice.

Thats me told then. !

From the op's original post where he said the chain had been on 'too long' - I made the assumption that he had missed the interval where you can replace chain only.

Last edited:

mjr

Thats me told then. !

From the op's original post where he said the chain had been on 'too long' - I made the assumption that he had missed the interval where you can replace chain only.
He may, but as @Yellow Saddle correctly hints, that'll be noticeable by the new chain skipping or skating long before it's easy to detect by sight. I suspect lots of people mistake the shifting-friendly irregular tooth pattern of modern cassettes for wear and replace them prematurely.

He may, but as @Yellow Saddle correctly hints, that'll be noticeable by the new chain skipping or skating long before it's easy to detect by sight. I suspect lots of people mistake the shifting-friendly irregular tooth pattern of modern cassettes for wear and replace them prematurely.

Must admit I hadn't thought of that. My last chain lasted 6k miles - so I figured my bike deserved the TLC of new chain and cassette combo. The chain on my winter bike was shifting fine - but is due a replacement as it got mangled in the DH ! - its only tiagra so the cassette is only around £20.

Thats me told then. !

Please don't feel "told off". That's not my intention. I'm trying to rescue this thread from confusion and misconception.

Must admit I hadn't thought of that. My last chain lasted 6k miles - so I figured my bike deserved the TLC of new chain and cassette combo. The chain on my winter bike was shifting fine - but is due a replacement as it got mangled in the DH ! - its only tiagra so the cassette is only around £20.

Had you mentioned that you change the cassette as well as the chain after 6000 miles (9600kms) everyone would have nodded in unison. Most of us only get about 4000 kms from a cassette and then only by changing the chain three times. Yet, you kinda commit the same crime again in the quote above where you hint that chain life and shifting are related. They are not. Plenty people make this assumption and the danger is always that repetition becomes truth.

Please don't feel "told off". That's not my intention. I'm trying to rescue this thread from confusion and misconception.

Had you mentioned that you change the cassette as well as the chain after 6000 miles (9600kms) everyone would have nodded in unison. Most of us only get about 4000 kms from a cassette and then only by changing the chain three times. Yet, you kinda commit the same crime again in the quote above where you hint that chain life and shifting are related. They are not. Plenty people make this assumption and the danger is always that repetition becomes truth.

ymmv - if my chain isn't shifting properly - then 90% of the time its adjustment IME. - I certainly wouldn't run out and buy a new chain and cassette. If its running well I tend to leave well alone !

simongt

Guru
Please explain what you would expect to find that indicates that the cassette is beyond use, during such a proposed inspection.
'Fraid this a visual inspection one. Once the teeth on any of the sprockets begin to look like sharks teeth, then is the time to consider replacing the cassette, which is annoying, as it's usually only the three or four most used sprockets which are affected, thus leaving four or more perfectly good ones going to waste. :thumbsdown:

mjr

'Fraid this a visual inspection one. Once the teeth on any of the sprockets begin to look like sharks teeth, then is the time to consider replacing the cassette, which is annoying, as it's usually only the three or four most used sprockets which are affected, thus leaving four or more perfectly good ones going to waste. :thumbsdown:
First, don't you mean shark's fins rather than teeth?

Secondly, a new chain will skip long before that.

Finally, the solution to too many unworn sprockets is to fit fewer sprockets. Maybe five?

simongt

Guru
Couldn't say about the teeth / fin description, never got that close to a shark - ! :biggrin:

Fewer sprockets you say - ? Tell that to the techno obsessed riders - ! I spent my youth with one at the front and five at the back - ! :rofl:

Maybe you should read the entire thread and then reconsider your answer.

Are you sure your jockey wheels have play in them and it's not just the usual float?

Chain width (which is what the speed number means) is determined by the number of cogs across the rear, so you've a 9 speed for this purpose.

Changing chains is easier if they've a quick link (magic link, power link, whatever brand name you like). If your current one hasn't, make sure your next one does. I like SRAM chains but KMC are good too.

I always use shimano chains and use a KMC quick link rather than shimano's silly master pin thing.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm still a bit confused. I'm pretty careful to replace my chains when the wear gets to 0.5%. Is the general opinion that I should replace the cassette if the chain slips having done so, or are there actual visual clues on the cassette?

Thanks.

Top Bottom