Chain ring wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Looking to replacing my cx chainset as pretty much worn out. Hard to find in the configuration I need - 46/36 - but found this on eBay. It's second hand obviously but just wondered what the opinions of others on the amount of wear on the teeth: don't need to last for ever but nor do I wish to replace it again by Christmas. Pics below for clarification.
20180823_085437.png
20180823_085437.png

Attachments

• 20180823_085319.png
    20180823_085319.png
    189.8 KB · Views: 38

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
No expert, but the inside ring looks OK. The outside however looks like it doesn't have long to go

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
There's not much wear on either rings. Shimano teeth are like that to aid gear shifting. It does confuse a lot of people. If the rings were worn then the teeth look more shark tooth like.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
Specialities-TA make every size and shape of chainring.
Thanks, will check them out.

U

User6179

Oh right, didn't see that.
But I would say the same about the teeth on that one.

I think the FSA have even more short teeth to aid shifting, mine did anyway and they are a lot harder to judge for wear as they looked a bit worn from new compared to Shimano rings.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Looks fine to me but I'd certainly cost up replacement rings.

However if you only plan to keep the bike a few months that crankset would be ideal.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
To help see it another way, this is what the teeth look like on my current big ring, which is also FSA. Virtually unrideable due to slippage.
20180823_100326.jpg

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Those are worn. I test mine by taking off the ring and throwing it at a brick wall. If it:

1. Bounces off. Refit and don't worry about it.
2. Sticks into wall for a second or two, then falls out. Refit but start thinking about replacement.
3. Cleaves wall in two. Sell it to a ninja and replace entire system.

Be warned when removing chainrings that the worn teeth can be razor sharp and if your allen key slips you will loose some flesh. Always rotate so if you slip, your finger go in a safe direction. Long handled allen keys are safer than the L shaped ones.

Top Bottom