Chain Rubbing on Derailleur Guard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Follow the cables.... you should soon be able to see which adjusters are for the brakes and which the gears.

Some older/cheaper front derailleur systems have no barrel adjusters - in which case it's a question of slacking off the cable retaining bolt at the front mech, pulling a bit of cable through, and re-tightening the bolt.

This was the bit I was referring to when I said "pliers will be required". :smile:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Sounds like big ring/big sprocket, small ring/small sprocket? - avoid using those extremes if that is the case.

FTFY

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I've just got a new Carrera Virtuoso road bike. However, when the chain is on the small cogs at the back the chain rubs on the front derailleur, creating a clicking sound. Any suggestions for adjustment? I got the bike on Ebay, so I can't take it to Halford's for free adjustment.

You arent on the small ring at the front and the small ring at the back are you?

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
HP if you're not sure about adjusting the gears, send me a PM and we'll arrange to meet down the quayside and I'll do them for you .. you buy the coffee :thumbsup:

I might take you up on that mate!

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Right, I made a pig's ear of it, so ended up taking it round to my LBS to give it the once over. He actually laughed, the bike was set up so badly. He said he'd set up the whole bike properly for £35 including the front mech, so I left it with him. The brakes were dodgy an' all. Halford's eh?

Cheers for all the help, as ever.

Ian 74

Right, I made a pig's ear of it, so ended up taking it round to my LBS to give it the once over. He actually laughed, the bike was set up so badly. He said he'd set up the whole bike properly for £35 including the front mech, so I left it with him. The brakes were dodgy an' all. Halford's eh?

Cheers for all the help, as ever.

Seems a bit harsh blaming halfords when you picked up the bike on ebay!

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
If it's rubbing on the inside the most frequent cause is that the user is cross-chaining - not that I'm suggesting the OP is doing that ....

Erm, I've just looked up what cross-chaining is and, yeah I was cross-chaining. Ah well, you live and learn!

Top Bottom