Chain Rubbing on Derailleur Guard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Could have saved yourself £35 for knowing that ;)

I could indeed! Mind, it probably needed a service after I'd been fiddling with it. Ah well, it'll be good to see what the bike's like after a fettle from the experts. The brakes were a bit spongy on my debut ride. It's a big learning experience this cycling lark.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I could indeed! Mind, it probably needed a service after I'd been fiddling with it. Ah well, it'll be good to see what the bike's like after a fettle from the experts. The brakes were a bit spongy on my debut ride. It's a big learning experience this cycling lark.

You'll soon get the hang of it and how to do repairs / tweaking on your bike in due course if you need help just ask :thumbsup:

Marc78

How many gears is normal to avoid to prevent cross chaining. I've got 16 on my road bike and I reckon I'm getting chain rub in about 6 of the gears. I'm also getting it in my lowest gear, which I can't avoid using when I'm slogging up hills.

Cheers
thumbsup.png

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
How many gears is normal to avoid to prevent cross chaining. I've got 16 on my road bike and I reckon I'm getting chain rub in about 6 of the gears. I'm also getting it in my lowest gear, which I can't avoid using when I'm slogging up hills.

Cheers
thumbsup.png
If you have 3 cogs on the front use the largert two rear cogs when in the smallest front cog. The fulk range in the middle and the the smallest two when in the largest front cog. For a double at the front treat the inside cog as the middle and use the smallest 3 os 4 in the outer :smile:

Marc78

Hi

It's a double at the front. When I'm in the smaller of the front cogs I'm getting rub when I'm on the top two and bottom one of the rear cassette.

I've ridden MTBs before and never really experienced any issues with chain rub. When I first got the road bike I kept taking it back to the shop thinking the cables had stretched. Then i started looking at forums etc and discovered cross chaining and started to manage my gear selection a bit better. Having said that, I still get the sense I'm avoiding more gears than is 'normal' and wondered if the FD might need to be angled slightly different.

I so need to go on a bike maintenance course! I see Sky are doing some all day numbers or £125, but not sure if they are much cop

Cheers

Norm

Is there not a point being missed here? I'm not sure what kit the OP has but most bikes that I've used have half-clicks on the front derailleur, to trim the chain run on one cog rather than switching cogs.

That's put in just to allow the front hanger to run the chain slightly left or right, to get rid of the noise without changing ratios.

Next time you are on the bike, try giving the LH (if that's the front) lever a nudge without pushing it all the way home. You might find the only thing required is practice rather than any adjustment.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hi

It's a double at the front. When I'm in the smaller of the front cogs I'm getting rub when I'm on the top two and bottom one of the rear cassette.

I've ridden MTBs before and never really experienced any issues with chain rub. When I first got the road bike I kept taking it back to the shop thinking the cables had stretched. Then i started looking at forums etc and discovered cross chaining and started to manage my gear selection a bit better. Having said that, I still get the sense I'm avoiding more gears than is 'normal' and wondered if the FD might need to be angled slightly different.

I so need to go on a bike maintenance course! I see Sky are doing some all day numbers or £125, but not sure if they are much cop

Cheers
Rub on both extremes of the gear range sounds like the limit screws need a minute adjustment.

Marc78

Thanks both. I stumbled across the half nudge by accident and that has helped to an extent. I'll take a closer look at the FD and give the limit screw(s) a 1/8 turn or so and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers
thumbsup.png

jansman

Regular
I WOULD blame Halfords actually.Some years ago I bought bikes for my two girls.8 and5 yrs old.They insisted they had to be set up,so I had to go back a few days later.One bike was fine.It was a singlespeed BMX.The other was a girls MTB type.The rear tyre(directional)was on the wrong way round,the brake pads were upside down,and the headset was LOOSE.Really loose.Oh,and so was the bottom bracket.
When I checked it the mechanic said"what are you ,some kind of expert?"
Well"yes"say I."Better than you"

I took the bikes and sorted the offending one myself.
Anyone remember the advert on tv where the chimps were running all-round the Halfords Bike Hut?They pulled it 'Cos the cycling press said that was the standard of the mechanics!

Top Bottom