Chain slip/jam - Rear Derailleur?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Perhaps, but there were issues before the tightening of the barrel adjusters. The click/clack noise reminds me of a goosed BB but i think it could equally be the hub. We'll see! Last chance saloon tomorrow before i take it to the LBS.

You have a combination of two things there.

1) Gear adjustment and/or worn cassette and chain.
2) Chainsuck.

As for the latter, let's see a nice photo of your chainrings. I need to see the tooth profile
Regarding chain/cassette wear. If you have cleaned your drivetrain by now, post a new photo of the cassette as well. I think I can see something in the first picture but it is a bit dark and oily.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Chainrings are just over 100mi old - installed them just over a week ago for a sportive where they operated fine for the 85mi. Would chainsuck set in that quick?

Chainrings are just over 100mi old - installed them just over a week ago for a sportive where they operated fine for the 85mi. Would chainsuck set in that quick?

Chainsuck has three elements to it.

1) Size. The smaller the chainring, the more likely it is that it will suck.
2) Dirt. The dirtier the chainring, the more likely it is that it will suck. Grit and mud is worse than greasy dirt but a definition is difficult.
3) Wear. Only a worn chainring will suck when the chainring is large and clean.

You decide where on the triangle your chainring sits.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Chainsuck has three elements to it.

1) Size. The smaller the chainring, the more likely it is that it will suck.
2) Dirt. The dirtier the chainring, the more likely it is that it will suck. Grit and mud is worse than greasy dirt but a definition is difficult.
3) Wear. Only a worn chainring will suck when the chainring is large and clean.

You decide where on the triangle your chainring sits.

I don't think this is it, but this is only because my final check was to press the cassette. It wobbles like flan.

I'm going to the LBS this afternoon for final diagnosis but appreciate the addition of a new thing to look out for!

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Verdict of the LBS is a knackered freehub. Will be replacing it tomorrow. Again, thanks to all for suggestions - I should have seen it as being obvious when the cassette wobbled... :biggrin:

Top Bottom