Chain Slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JAW2020

Chain slips still under pressure even after changing the chain to new and derailer good condition.. free wheel is this warn maybe

weareHKR

Hi there,
Is that just a general statement or are you asking a question?
If the latter, the best way for help is to introduce yourself in the New Member thread first.
There's all the help you need in here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax Bay

Guru
As above (need new cassette/freewheel block to match new chain), but what bike and number of sprockets at rear? (for additional help)
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JAW2020

Here is the cassette

Attachments

• 8444D39B-3DD2-4D4E-874F-786CFC621C0E.jpeg
    8444D39B-3DD2-4D4E-874F-786CFC621C0E.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 12

DRM

Guru
Can't see much of the cassette, but I would say that the derailleur clamp is too far forward in the dropout, it should be all the way back. Not sure if that would have any bearing on chain slip
This ^ the hanger assembly should be further back for starters,
I have changed chain and my cassette is the problem the rear derailer is fine ..

Thanks for your reply back
You say you’ve changed the chain, the cassette/freewheel will no longer match the new chain, hence the slipping, other causes of ghost changes are frayed gear cables, also Inner gear cable sticking in the outer due to dirt & corrosion, put your bike into the largest cog on the cassette, now change gear into the smallest cog with the shifter, but don’t pedal so the chain stays put, the gear cable will now be slack, unhook the outer from the stop on the frame, and slide it down the inner, look for frayed bits of cable, don’t forget to check under the bottom bracket guide where the cable passes, if it’s just dirty clean up and put a film of grease on the inner cable and put the outer cable back into the derailleur and frame stop, just change gear back to the largest cog on the shifter to put the cable back under tension, and give a try out, if it’s frayed, or excessively corroded/dirty replace the inner & outer cable

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
As an observation, this new chain has started to exhibit surface rust. I surmise that it has been inadequately oiled (recommend use of wet not dry lube at this time of year) and if a rider's been out in the wet, it's worth giving the cassette a quick spray of hygrophobic stuff (eg WD40/GT85, not oil) after returning home.

Last edited:
Top Bottom