Chain wear tools

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I have 3 mainly bought as extras to get me over the free postage threshold, however 2 measure .75% wear and 1%, I liked the idea of a Park Tools one that measured .5% for my 11 speed chains, at £9.99 it was at least twice the price, I know all about measuring with a ruler etc, just curious, I even have a nail in the door frame in the garage so "If" I take the chain off it can be measured properly. (marked with a new chain length)

The Park tool one at .5% does not fit between the links yet, however the Wiggle own brand at .75% can be made to go in all the way with some gentle persuasion, the X tools one will not.

Do I trust the Park Tools one and throw the other two to the back of the draw? this is the way I am leaning, I never thought there would be so much difference in a simple device.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Can you measure a few split chains over their entire length (to get the best accuracy) and use these measurements to benchmark your tools against; keeping the most accurate?

Also, are you aware of all the stuff to do with the legitimacy of measurements between different tools / different modes of operation? I keep forgetting exactly what the issues are but I think it's relatated to factoring out roller wear. The Shimano and Pedros tools are generally reputed to be the most accurate in this regard..

OP
OP
carlosfandangus

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Yes checked all over the length of the fitted chain, however I have also checked a chain that is hanging in the garage (previously taken off the same bike, just not thrown away yet) the lifeline tool says .75% worn, the Park tool one says not .5% yet!!

wafter

Yes checked all over the length of the fitted chain, however I have also checked a chain that is hanging in the garage (previously taken off the same bike, just not thrown away yet) the lifeline tool says .75% worn, the Park tool one says not .5% yet!!
So measuring the entire length of the chain hanging in the garage with a reliable steel tape measure / steel rule, how does the calculated chain wear compare to the two values you're getting from the two tools?

wafter

So (working in metric as imperial twists my swede) you have 101 links at 12.7mm pitch, so an original chain length of 101*12.7=1282.7mm; with an incrase in length of 2.4mm. This works out at 0.187% elongation through wear; suggesting that the "not yet 0.5% worn" indication of the Park Tool item is more accurate than the "exceeding 0.75% wear" of the Lifeline item ;)

OP
OP
carlosfandangus

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Thank you @wafter, maths is not my strong point, I will go with the Park tools one in future

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It is more likely to be discrepancies in tolerances when manufacturing the gauges, I'd be tempted to calibrate the tool against a new chain to check it's accuracy. Mind you I've never felt the need to waste money on buying one, you can tell the wear on a chain by trying to lift it up at the 3 'O'clock position on the front ring, if you can move it significantly there then the chain is not meshing fully with the teeth on the sprocket and is worn.

Top Bottom