Chain Wrapping Up On Itself When Changing To The Smallest Chainring: Any Ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Maybe your rear mech spring has lost some of it's strength so can no longer provide enough tension. Small-small is just not a good combo to use anyway. On the rare occasions I've has a chain come off, it has nearly always happened when riding on one of the gear ratios that results in minimal chain tension and a lot of slack.

Maybe your rear mech spring has lost some of it's strength so can no longer provide enough tension. Small-small is just not a good combo to use anyway. On the rare occasions I've has a chain come off, it has nearly always happened when riding on one of the gear ratios that results in minimal chain tension and a lot of slack.
I said that and was dismissed🤔🤔🤔

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
The rear mech spring does seem a bit piss weak compared to the one on my sons bike.

The current rear mech is seven years old and I've a new one on the way.

davidphilips

Veteran
Small ring to small ring on a 3 ring set up is no no, learn how to use your gears correctly, you may have got away with it for a bit but that does not make it right and any experienced cyclist will advise the same thing.
Watch this video for some useful tips, yes its about a double set up but with a triple you should be even more careful

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVnYxBCc4cs

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
a fresh new spring in a new derailleur should help in your style of riding.. let us know how you get on
I'm trying to source a new derailleur but I'm struggling a bit.

My hanger is standard mount but all of the stuff I see on Amazon is tagged "Direct Mount" although quite a few of them look like standard mount to me.

This one is tagged "direct attachment "?

1610776504217.png

I might just bite the bullet and buy one that looks right and if it isn't right, send it back.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Small ring to small ring on a 3 ring set up is no no, learn how to use your gears correctly, you may have got away with it for a bit but that does not make it right and any experienced cyclist will advise the same thing.

Like I said before, it's a combo I use very little but it has always worked for me before. I understand cross chaining and why it shouldn't be done but life is full of stuff we shouldn't do.

As with anything mechanical, if it worked one day and it doesn't work the next, something is wrong with the mechanics and that is what I am trying to get to the bottom of.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned but have you visually inspected the chain rings to see if they are buckled? It could have taken a bash in a cycle rack.
I store the bike in an unused shed at work so nobody goes anywhere near it.

I'm going to give the bike a good clean and then flip it upside down and see if I can see any wobble or distortion in the chainwheel.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As everyone has said, you are doing it wrong. However, if you want to persist let’s see a side on photo of the derailleur in small-small and the same angle photo but with the chain off (so no tension) on the derailleur. You could also tell us the range of teeth on the chainrings and cassette.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
As everyone has said, you are doing it wrong. However, if you want to persist let’s see a side on photo of the derailleur in small-small and the same angle photo but with the chain off (so no tension) on the derailleur. You could also tell us the range of teeth on the chainrings and cassette.
Mine may nor be the best approach so I'm open to suggestions.

Here's how I roll.

So I'm hurtling down a big dipper (30% both sides) trying to get as much speed up as possible so that I can have decent momentum going up the hill on the other side of the dip.

Near the bottom, I flip down to the small on the front but stay small on the back so that I can apply some welly at the start of the uphill section.

Being already on the small on the front avoids me having to use the front to shift down when the bike is under load when climbing.

As I climb the uphill section, I progressively shift down on the back.

Any advice welcome.

BTW. I've just taken off the chain and the derailleur doesn't fold back up in on itself like it normally would with the chain off. The spring action seems pretty weak (virtually zero return force when pressed against).

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It sounds like your derailleur spring could be toast then or your pivot points gummed up, can you push it back gently by hand and have you cleaned and lubricated it well?

As for your scenario, I have never had a problem dropping down the rings, I would stay in the big ring and move up the cassette bit by bit until about halfway then when I need to switch to a smaller ring easy off slightly during the change.

Top Bottom