Chainring Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I mentioned my current problem in the 'what have you fettled today' section but I think that was the wrong place so I'll try again here.. I have just replaced my 36t OEM Inner chainring with an FSA part but something us not quite right. They are both labelled as 10spd but the chain seems to slip on the new one. I have had a close look and it is as if the teeth don't protrude far enough through the chain links causing it to slip. The chain is also new but is a Shimano Tiagra chain not an FSA. The new ring appeared to be lighter in weight and I'm now wondering if it was possibly a bit thinner too. If so, then it was not noticeable enough to warrant the use of spacers IMO.. Would that make a difference to the way the chain meshes with the teeth on the ring? The finish of it was also more like what I'd expect of an outer ring than an inner (Gloss paint with branding etc..) but whether that makes any difference I honestly don't know.

Any ideas folks?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Photos of both sides of the chain ring ?

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
I'm lost with this sentence
Sorry, I meant that if the new part was thinner 'than the original' then the difference did not appear to be enough to warrant me using packers/shims when mounting it on the legs of the crank spider so as to bring it back in line with the center of the chain. Any clearer?

OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
Photos of both sides of the chain ring ?
Here goes but, I never have much success when trying to attach photos.
20210406_112550.jpg

20210406_112605.jpg

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
a new chain-ring will often slip on a worn chain, but you've fitted a new chain. The FSA / Shimano thing doesn't matter. and all 10-spd set up ?

I'm mystified

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Sorry, I meant that if the new part was thinner 'than the original' then the difference did not appear to be enough for me to use packers/shims when mounting it on the spider to bring it out to the same chainline position as that of the original. Any clearer?
Thanks - yes indeed. 10 isn't that much thinner to be an issue in that case :smile:

I use an easy "measure". If you can't pull the chain (using your fingers) up very far off the big chainring at the horizontal point on the ring then the chain is good (as is your chainring). If you can pull it up a bit too much you have a problem. Unless the front ring is badly and fairly obviously worn it's a quick and easy test without pfaff. I guess there is a bit of "by eye" that needs "calibrating". Experience is good for that. Check it out and post a pic.......

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Here goes but, I never have much success when trying to attach photos. View attachment 582625

View attachment 582610
Why do you feel you need to change the ring? The old one looks fine to me.

Mike_P

Guru
..and is the chain on the right way, some have defined outer sides. If in doubt it's usually the side that has branding etc on it that goes on the outside.

D

Deleted member 1258

just a thought, have you got it right way round, the tooth profiles are sometime subtly different leading and trailing

Thats what I was thinking, the old chain ring looks like its still got miles in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
JPBoothy

JPBoothy

Veteran
a new chain-ring will often slip on a worn chain, but you've fitted a new chain. The FSA / Shimano thing doesn't matter. and all 10-spd set up ?

I'm mystified
Yes it is a new Shimano 10 spd chain with branding (HG etc.. ) facing out.

Top Bottom