Wrong chainring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

:whistle:

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Morning folks ive decided to go to a bike shop to sort this problem, dont fancy ordering up another through the post which may or maybe not fit :rolleyes:
When i gave Tredz the dimensions they gave me just the one option which i chose....i find this puzzling now as the the one they sent is part of a groupset it follows there would be multiple options which would fit.....
Anyhow the original still has some life in it which'll give me time to cadge a lift to the nearest bike shop :okay:

Alex321

Veteran
Morning folks ive decided to go to a bike shop to sort this problem, dont fancy ordering up another through the post which may or maybe not fit :rolleyes:
When i gave Tredz the dimensions they gave me just the one option which i chose....i find this puzzling now as the the one they sent is part of a groupset it follows there would be multiple options which would fit.....

Not for any given number of teeth. If you specified 42 teeth, then there would only be one option from any groupset - and TBH that is not one of the more common sizes for 2x - the large ring will rarely be less than 46T, while the small ring will never be more than 39T.

And of course, they will only have offered you what they have in stock, or can get within a few days.

Anyhow the original still has some life in it which'll give me time to cadge a lift to the nearest bike shop :okay:

Sounds like a plan.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
One last thought. The lifting pin that's visible are usually on the big ring of a double chainset and on the inside. That is, facing the frame.

Can you turn the ring round, so the lifting pin is on the inside.
Ok folks i hopes this post concludes the sorry tale of newbie ineptness! :rolleyes:
The Sherlock award......

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”​

goes to Sharky as he spotted the chain ring is the wrong way round... This morning i tried this fix and whadyaknow it works! Ive had a spin around the block up and down the gears and alls well. Indoors with the bike inverted ive spun every which way and the chain is staying where it should. The only doubt i have left is the differance in chain ring teeth ie the original has plain simple teeth with no chamfers and the new one has...fingers crossed!
The Idiocy Award ...er..um..goes to me! :wacko::laugh:

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Ok folks i hopes this post concludes the sorry tale of newbie ineptness! :rolleyes:
The Sherlock award......

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”​

goes to Sharky as he spotted the chain ring is the wrong way round... This morning i tried this fix and whadyaknow it works! Ive had a spin around the block up and down the gears and alls well. Indoors with the bike inverted ive spun every which way and the chain is staying where it should. The only doubt i have left is the differance in chain ring teeth ie the original has plain simple teeth with no chamfers and the new one has...fingers crossed!
The Idiocy Award ...er..um..goes to me! :wacko::laugh:

Well done

Top Bottom