Chainrings and Cassette relationship

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiger2513

Hi, I am new to riding and love it. I have a 12-26 9 spd cass but need help up hill. Looking at a new cassette 11-28 9 Saint/SLX HG80 9-speed. Will i need to get a new chain? Also need a new lge chain ring (50) as i a big bloke and bent mine. I ride a cannondale optimo 3 cycle X with a shimano 9 spd chain(only on road as it was a bargain). Need to do it online and get it right. Pse help.

First of all Welcome to cc

I would say yes you will need to get a new chain I like the Sram pc951 which is a good stock chain. As for your large chain ring you may need to take that into a shop as you will need to know the BCD of it and unless you can work it out I would leave that bit to them. How much do you know about bike maintenance? as you will need to know a bit and have the tools to swoop the cassette.

OP
OP
T

Tiger2513

A bit more info and thanks

Thanks for the reply found out the following:

5 branch large chain rings have the following (bolt Cross Diameter)-BCD

distance between two consecutive holes gives the BCD as shown:

55.3mm = 94

64.7mm = 110

76.4mm = 130

79.4mm = 135

84.6mm = 144

Still contemplating the cassette issues but decided to get more hills in and then it does not hurt as much. Thanks very much for you rapid responce and welcome.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
IF you know the Make and model of the 'chainset' - E.g. Shimano Deore, we could tell you the BCD ? - there will most likely be a model number stamped on the back (inner) side of the crank arms - like M757 or something.

Tiger2513 said:
Thanks for the reply found out the following:

5 branch large chain rings have the following (bolt Cross Diameter)-BCD

distance between two consecutive holes gives the BCD as shown:

55.3mm = 94

64.7mm = 110

76.4mm = 130

79.4mm = 135

84.6mm = 144

Still contemplating the cassette issues but decided to get more hills in and then it does not hurt as much. Thanks very much for you rapid responce and welcome.

Sorry mate but if you know that why do you not just work it out you do not have to do it from cc.... as long as you are taking the distance from the same points you will know you BCD!!

Top Bottom