Chainset pedal problem...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Sorry, i didnt see the 'repaired' bit...
When i did mine, i took the crankset off and laid it flat on a paving slab to hit it.
Two reasons...it stops you overdoing it and bending the chainring too far...and secondly, it stops all the shock going through the frame / BB etc etc.

It seems hard to imagine they've hit it hard enough to actually crack the bolt...which still makes me thing the bolt may have already been (unknowingly) damaged.

If you have access to a good drill, good drill bit and some sort of extractor set, the broken bolt should come out. Its standard procedure when you know how.

By the same token, a new BB shouldnt be too expensive..possibly cheaper than buying a good drill bit and extractor set :biggrin:.

If you were local, i have all the neccessary extractors etc...if only you were local :biggrin:

OP
OP
G

Grouchfungus

gbb said:
Sorry, i didnt see the 'repaired' bit...
When i did mine, i took the crankset off and laid it flat on a paving slab to hit it.
Two reasons...it stops you overdoing it and bending the chainring too far...and secondly, it stops all the shock going through the frame / BB etc etc.

It seems hard to imagine they've hit it hard enough to actually crack the bolt...which still makes me thing the bolt may have already been (unknowingly) damaged.

If you have access to a good drill, good drill bit and some sort of extractor set, the broken bolt should come out. Its standard procedure when you know how.

By the same token, a new BB shouldnt be too expensive..possibly cheaper than buying a good drill bit and extractor set :biggrin:.

If you were local, i have all the neccessary extractors etc...if only you were local :biggrin:
Oh well, off to LBS. I tend to agree with you in retrospect. Probably bolt fatigued already.

02GF74

Über Member
Grouchfungus said:
Oh well, off to LBS. I tend to agree with you in retrospect. Probably bolt fatigued already.

hmmm, not so sure. I have re-used the same bolt several times and never had one snap.

more likley that it was overtightened but who knows.

usually these bolts are hardened steel so it would be dificult to remove; you could have a go at removing it but a new BB is £ 20 so would not break the bank.

if there is any of the bolt protruding, then make a slot iwth a hacksaw and try to unscrew it - it may be reasonably loose in the BB so may undo.

OP
OP
G

Grouchfungus

Guessing game.

Took bike to LBS.

He managed to get the rest of the thread out of the BB.

Repaired with new bolt, and supply and fit 'cheapish' plastic chainguard. And yes :angry: I know it's a bit naff to fit one to this sort of bike...........

So come on guys - how much would you expect to pay for this? Guess away!

gbb

Legendary Member
Grouchfungus said:
Took bike to LBS.

He managed to get the rest of the thread out of the BB.

Repaired with new bolt, and supply and fit 'cheapish' plastic chainguard. And yes :evil: I know it's a bit naff to fit one to this sort of bike...........

So come on guys - how much would you expect to pay for this? Guess away!

Extracting a broken bolt can be remarkably easy, or devilishly hard.
Chainguard...not sure what you mean, but as you said...cheapish.
New bolt...not too dear...

So i suppose if he felt he in any way contributed to the broken bolt...he did it for free :biggrin: ?

OP
OP
G

Grouchfungus

£5.50!

IMHO cheap az chipz!

Mr Pig

Tynan said:
bravo for getting home

As opposed to?

"Stuff it, I'm just going to live in the woods!"

The bolt may have been stressed by whatever impact bent the chain-ring. As the bike was bought used and the history is unknown it's impossible to blame the bike shop, unfortunately.

Top Bottom