Challenge Holborn - the lowest of the low

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Bromptons are Marmite bikes to anyone who grew up riding on full size wheels. I can tolerate a 20" Shopper bike for it's practicality, but a Brompton to me, is beyond the pale. I've tried one and I didn't like either the ride quality which I considered harsh and choppy, or the very quick twitchy steering. The wheels are even smaller and this amplifies the ride & handling characteristics already present in the 20" shopper bike genre. I certainly wouldn't buy one, especially considering how expensive they are. The only redeeming feature of a Brompton is it's compact fold size, which to me is not worth the downsides..

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Sounds like you just need to get out and ride to build up your fitness.

If you have to slacken the handle bar locking bolt to fold the handlebars take care to completely slackened it or you will be repeatedly scoring a line into the handle bar just at it's most stressed point.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Bromptons are indeed Marmite bikes. As @SkipdiverJohn says, the steering is twitchy, although it does settle down as you get used to them. 16" wheels are always going to be a bit iffy off-road, but the ability to take Bromptons on trains is what really justifies them for me. Others may vary. They really are a niche product. You either have a need for one, or it's probably of no use to you.

OP
OP
sabcycling

sabcycling

Well, time for another update. I was off today and all that was on my agenda was to tackle the same run , the second day and not give up. First day did get a bit better toward the end. But it was still a poor experience, it's a struggle to cycle this on flat ground, even on a gentle descent peddling was still taking it out of me.

Just for reference, I'm 25, no health problems thankfully, quite thin, generally quite fit... though haven't exercised intensely for a while. However, that being said, in 2015 I cycled again after YEARS of not doing so, same in 2016 / 17 / 19 - and we're talking this same 8 mile cycle around the two bridges, same hills, same flats... It took only once or twice to get back up to being able to do them in virtually no stops - taking it easy, but having the energy to do a little burst of speed here and there, which took a hit on my breath, but not a stopping matter. That's the only reason, whilst it's perfectly valid to assume it's me being out of shape, that it might also be the bike?

Ashamed to say it, but it's on Gumtree now... I know these bikes are some peoples only choice, but I think if I can figure out a way to transport a full size on in I should go with it as the compromises might not be worth it given my experience so far. A Brompton might be a little better, but it's too much money to gamble with and would be even harder to shift on. I am planning to buy a nicer bike through the cycle to work scheme, this was a bit of a lesson really.

If any of you are in Northern Ireland and are interested in buying message me privately (mods please remove if this line not allowed)

AuroraSaab

Veteran
What a shame a folding bike hasn't worked out for you. I think you gave it a good go though and I enjoyed your accounts. I guess they just aren't suitable for what you want to do and the convenience of a folder doesn't overcome that.

Hopefully you'll get a quick sale and not lose too much. There aren't many deals going on new bikes at the moment but hopefully you'll find a good replacement. Let us know what you choose.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I don't think small wheels would be for me either. Granted, i haven't tried them, but on a canal towpath? Naa, i'll stick to my fat bike. I think whatever you go for, take it easy and build yourself up. I started very obese and got down the street and back before being knackered. I know you said you're not obese, far from it, the principle of fitness is exactly the same. Good luck anyway...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've never ridden a small wheeled bike as an adult, but having had a go on a motor scooter I know they would not be for me. It felt like being perched on top of a couple of castors rather than sitting astride a motorcycle and I feel I would find it exactly the same on a small wheeled cycle.

midlife

Guru
Love it :smile:

trackbike1.png

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm struggllng to understand the rationale behind any of this, TBH. Why transport a bike in the back of a car to go for a short ride? Why not just ride directly from home and back again? Giving up on a new bike after a couple of trips round the block doesn't sound like much of a solution to me, especially as it sounds no time had been spent getting it set up so it works as well as possible with regards to things like gearchanges, tyre pressures, wheel bearing tightness etc. Most of these half assembled bikes sold through retailers are not going to ride very well straight out of the box unless you happen to get really lucky. You aren't paying the cost of the LBS doing the pre-handover tweaking , so you have to be prepared to, and expect to, do it yourself..
Your existing large wheel bike doesn't sound like it has had any maintenance since you got it either, and rather than sort it out you just buy something else. I'm inclined to think history will repeat itself again next time as you will never get much out of cycling if you don't ride bikes that are kept well sorted and work as well as possible.

I cant speak for the small wheeled bikes but your description of one of the rides reminded me of one of my first rides, a mere 6 miles with half of it downhill. I was a few stone heavier than now and was hot and flustered at every stage of it and thinking I was gonna die. I just wasn't used to my HR being so high. However, I found that the bike was an escape for me. It could take me to faraway places and back again albeit I was initially scared of being stranded due to exhaustion. So I got a mate to drive me to Derby and I rode back. Think it took me 2 hours (16miles total) but I did it. Now it takes me less than an hour!!

I cant speak for the small wheeled bikes but your description of one of the rides reminded me of one of my first rides, a mere 6 miles with half of it downhill. I was a few stone heavier than now and was hot and flustered at every stage of it and thinking I was gonna die. I just wasn't used to my HR being so high. However, I found that the bike was an escape for me. It could take me to faraway places and back again albeit I was initially scared of being stranded due to exhaustion. So I got a mate to drive me to Derby and I rode back. Think it took me 2 hours (16miles total) but I did it. Now it takes me less than an hour!!

The only bike I've ever regretted buying was a BSO folder - £150 and an absolute crock.

You can get rideable folders for much less than the cost of a Brompton, and if you're prepared to go secondhand then there are some bargains about: I got my Bike Friday for £350 a few years back. But I suspect anything less than £200 new will be basically unrideable.

Top Bottom