Challenge Holborn - the lowest of the low

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In addition to tyre pressures, as mentioned by @siadwell , looking at the photographs, I would question is the seat high enough (depending on how tall you are, of course). Having the seat too low makes peddling more effort.

OP
OP
sabcycling

sabcycling

I'm struggllng to understand the rationale behind any of this, TBH. Why transport a bike in the back of a car to go for a short ride? Why not just ride directly from home and back again? Giving up on a new bike after a couple of trips round the block doesn't sound like much of a solution to me, especially as it sounds no time had been spent getting it set up so it works as well as possible with regards to things like gearchanges, tyre pressures, wheel bearing tightness etc. Most of these half assembled bikes sold through retailers are not going to ride very well straight out of the box unless you happen to get really lucky. You aren't paying the cost of the LBS doing the pre-handover tweaking , so you have to be prepared to, and expect to, do it yourself..
Your existing large wheel bike doesn't sound like it has had any maintenance since you got it either, and rather than sort it out you just buy something else. I'm inclined to think history will repeat itself again next time as you will never get much out of cycling if you don't ride bikes that are kept well sorted and work as well as possible.

Yeah it will seem fairly stupid to many people, especially proper into-cycling kinds that are likely to be on this forum. But the reason for the folding bike is to fit into the car without needing the hassle of a carrier (had one previously) and to avoid needing to remove the front wheel, leaving the forks to scratch the hell out of the cars interior and leave oil / dirt all over it with the seats folded down. Then, the reason for the taking a car at all is as it's 5 miles of virtually no path, fairly poor roads, dark after work in this weather, cold and dangerous due to cars passing closely and the turns / hills making it hard even if they were trying to be careful. I know some are happy to persevere but I'm not there yet.

Agreed about having it setup properly, but LBS are professionals with a lot of skill and their labour fee is probably half the cost of this bike, and even at that, I reckon part of the issue is Argos's supplier have slapped virtually a standard 6 speed regular gearset onto a folding bike without much thought or amendment made for the folding bike characteristics to fit in budget (£130 ain't much to work with I suppose). I blame myself for expecting much better to be honest.

Yes, the full size bike is still around. It works, but its brakes are wore out (unevenly), it's corroded and rusty throughout, cheap gearset is fully operational but in its own cruddy mess. It's a 2016 Raleigh Edale (read: Halfords special). But actually it's done me for five years, I never had much issue with it really, it is what it is and did a fine job. I think I paid £220 back then, but remember seeing it going for £70 new toward the end of its selling life. I'll be using it for the next few months, until the cycle to work scheme reappears. I think it'll be full size bikes for me for the future.

I'm keen to see if everything I complained about goes away on the full size bike around the same route, but I sold my bike carrier last year during lockdown and I'm not fussed on buying another, nor the roof mounted ones. I'll have to craft some foam padding to wrap around it to protect my car for at least a one off cycle in the city and see if it truly was me being out of tune fitness wise, or if the budget folder really was just an uphill battle to get used to.

For anyone interested, I'm going to try and take it to Argos today and make my plea about the quality being poor and a disappointing experience... their policy states that of course, it must be unused / unopened to be returned within 30 days. So they are likely to say no, meaning Gumtree be my only hope. I'll let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
sabcycling

sabcycling

Keep it up, it’ll do wonders for your fitness. Ensure saddle height is correct.

I did heighten it on the first ride, made a big difference!

Just a thought... are the tyres pumped to the right pressure? Can make a difference to ease of ride if too soft.

That's something I didn't check as properly as I should have. When riding, I looked down and it looked slightly flat, but I thought this was just due to the small wheels. I should have checked the PSI and pumped it up, but feeling how I did, in the cold with numb fingers, armed with a cheap pump and already dying [exageration lol] I was guilty of not stopping and sorting this out.... now I'm curious how much of a difference it might have made

OP
OP
sabcycling

sabcycling

Here are some close up photos of the brakes / the bikes components. I feel like perhaps a bit of self-maintenance might do the trick, having taken a closer look. Keen to hear what you think / suggest

Attachments

• IMG_0888.jpeg
    IMG_0888.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0886.jpeg
    IMG_0886.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0885.jpeg
    IMG_0885.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0882.jpeg
    IMG_0882.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0883.jpeg
    IMG_0883.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0884.jpeg
    IMG_0884.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0881.jpeg
    IMG_0881.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 27

Rusty Rocket

I’m no expert but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to replace the pads, look pretty worn. There’s a couple of rusty bits (brake cable and wheel nut) but neither are critical - bit of wire wool will clean those up nicely.
Chain could do with a clean and regrease but nothing looks fundamentally wrong. Just needs a bit of TLC.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
On the subject of small wheels they’re not really the issue people think. On the Brompton I’ve done 100 milers and toured with full camping kit on all kinds of surfaces.
I have a couple old 3 speed shoppers, BSA/Twentys etc. Which happily do over 50 mile rides on (and coukd go further). I’m 95kg with CHD, so not a super-fit racing snake.
The LEJOG speed record was held on a small wheel Moulton for a long time.
Small wheels might not be the issue....

OP
OP
sabcycling

sabcycling

I’m no expert but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to replace the pads, look pretty worn. There’s a couple of rusty bits (brake cable and wheel nut) but neither are critical - bit of wire wool will clean those up nicely.
Chain could do with a clean and regrease but nothing looks fundamentally wrong. Just needs a bit of TLC.

That's good to hear! I've priced up some bits on Evans Cycles to get a rough idea.

Comes to £61 for two new tyres, four new brake pads, chain removal tool (to get it off and clean it properly) and a lock. The essentials I think

Taking this up to £199 to add... proper waterproof winter gloves, proper thermal cap (instead of wearing a hat under my helmet as per my pic), some waterproof cycling trousers, new pannier rack, new mudguards.. Debating whether to spend this, or whether to contemplate a new bike in a few months.

OP
OP
sabcycling

sabcycling

An update on trying to return the Challenge Holborn to Argos... they're making me to 30 miles to the nearest Argos store that's currently accepting returns. Well, they recommended I don't go farther than the 10 mile restriction, of course, but that's a bit of a PITA.

The online Argos folks told me I could return it, even having used it twice due to how poor I felt the quality / experience of using it was compared to what I expected. Though their policy typically states no unless it's unused / new.. Hopefully they follow through, it would be very generous of them. I cleaned it back up to new today.

Rusty Rocket

I don’t think new tyres are critical (tread looks ok to me) so may not be worth changing yet unless there’s other damage that I haven’t picked up in the picture.

That’s great if Argos do take it back and give you a full refund, will pay for most of your new gear. Good luck

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Generally the problems with cheap new bikes are wheel and BB bearings assembled with too little grease, bearings adjusted over-tight, gear indexing not very accurate, and possible brake maladjustment. None of this costs anything to put right if you do it yourself, but you could spend a couple of hours performing the tweaking. If I bought a bike in a box I would attend to all these things as soon as I got it home, before doing any more miles on it, like I have done with some used bikes I have bought.
The small wheels will not roll as easily as large ones, but they won't be as bad as the knobbly 26" MTB tyres, which I rode on an 8 mile errand earlier today with no ill effects.
I spotted yet another new £100 Challenge 26" rigid MTB outside an Argos store, upside down having its front wheel put on. The owner must have only just bought it and was about to ride it home! Only six speeds but a useable £100 bike and they are selling.

OP
OP
sabcycling

sabcycling

Final update on the Challenge Holborn....
Miraculously, Argos took it back for a full refund. Without the original box, but I dissassembled it and sadly had to drive quite a bit to the nearest store here that was accepting returns as opposed to our local (now Sainsbury's) Argos. So there will not be much more in the way of new updates about how it's faring... The reason I cited was disappointed with the quality and user experience of the product.

I wasn't impressed at all with it, I did think it'd be more than usable but it wasn't usable at all in my opinion. I think the kind of people buying this to get into cycling or commuting by bike are going to have a lousy time, and probably not realise how much better even a £200-£300 bike would be, let alone some of the really spectacular high end models they otherwise might one day upgrade to should they be able to stick it out and enjoy it. I can't see anyone enjoying that, though perhaps I'm just personally extra-dissatisfied than most reasonable people would be..

It's back to the five year old Raleigh Edale hybrid / full size bike now. Which needs a few bits and pieces done, and as discussed in another thread, possibly not worth doing and just buying a new bike. But now I know, it'll be full size. I've abandoned my dreams for a Brompton someday. Now it'll be a Trek FX of some sort, or maybe a Royal Dutch Gazelle, I quite like the look of those for practicality and everyday comfort over sportiness. Around the £800 mark... but I'll need to earn it... by keeping up cycling regularly and properly throughout the year before such an investment.

Sorry to disappoint anyone who hoped for a very long ongoing long-term review - that was the plan, but it didn't work out for me in this case!

Top Bottom