Challenging History : The Titanic Conspiracy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
CH4+1 right now> Titanic - The New Evidence

Random comment: Many years ago I had the privilege to traverse the stairs up to the roof of a H+W paint shed. I made the mistake of looking down :ohmy:

Last edited:
The Loch Ness monster sunk the titanic and swam back to the tunnel on the moon before the Americans got there

Could be a movie in there somewhere

Again, don't ruin a good conspiracy theory with rationality. The Americans did not get to the moon.

Not read all the article but my first thought is how difficult it must have been to deliberately hit an ice berg in the Atlantic in the night

Crikey imagine trying to work all that out with no satellite data or computers !

classic33

Leg End Member
Not read all the article but my first thought is how difficult it must have been to deliberately hit an ice berg in the Atlantic in the night

Crikey imagine trying to work all that out with no satellite data or computers !
Sail further North than is considered safe, due to ice, whilst maintaining a speed that is unsafe for the conditions.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Sail further North than is considered safe, due to ice, whilst maintaining a speed that is unsafe for the conditions.
...in an "unsinkable" boat with not enough lifeboats.

That's exactly what the captain of the Titanic did. No conspiracy needed - he thought he was piloting a ship that (more or less) couldn't sink. But he was wrong.

Anyone who purveys conspiracy theories is guilty of seriously poor thinking. Occam's razor is a thing - cockup and hubris are almost always a far simpler explanation than increasingly fantastical explanations of how "it might have been done".

Like all conspiracy threads, this isn't "Challenging history", it's complete bollocks. It belongs in fiction, not fact.

classic33

Leg End Member
...in an "unsinkable" boat with not enough lifeboats.

That's exactly what the captain of the Titanic did. No conspiracy needed - he thought he was piloting a ship that (more or less) couldn't sink. But he was wrong.

Anyone who purveys conspiracy theories is guilty of seriously poor thinking. Occam's razor is a thing - cockup and hubris are almost always a far simpler explanation than increasingly fantastical explanations of how "it might have been done".

Like all conspiracy threads, this isn't "Challenging history", it's complete bollocks. It belongs in fiction, not fact.
You also ignore warnings of ice ahead, whilst ordering an increase of speed having received the warnings.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
My grandfather was on the Titanic he survived the sinking, but later died a few months later of consumption, but long enough to see his son born.

Tin Pot

Guru
My grandfather was on the Titanic he survived the sinking, but later died a few months later of consumption, but long enough to see his son born.
So please, put us out of our misery...was he on the Titanic, the Olympic or the Moon?

Top story BTW.

DRM

Guru
I watched the documentary last year regarding the fire in the coal bunker, it wasn’t a conspiracy theory, but after having seen the damage to the paint work on photos taken in Belfast the evidence was eventually found in historical documents from the time, coal can self ignite if it’s stacked high, they had to go fast across the Atlantic because the only way to get rid of the burning coal was to get it in the boilers ASAP, it couldn’t be replaced as there was a miners strike at the time, the high speed was also because whilst getting rid of the coal, they couldn’t afford to run out part way across the Atlantic as this would have been a major embarrassment in a cut throat industry, also the stokers who survived started to talk, White Star line got them on the first available boat back to Blighty to shut them up, the bulkhead where the fire was, was badly weakened by the heat, as well as being made of inferior quality steel, so under the pressure of the water as Titanic started to sink gave way, all this was made worse by the pressure to get across the Atlantic quickly as White Star Line were in financial difficulties, no conspiracy, just a perfect storm of lots of things going wrong that ended in disaster.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
They stood to lose two vessels that way though. Olympic and Titanic.

Britannic would get sunk later.
That demonstrates the truism that people are really bad at learning from their mistakes. Even if it is possible to do a detailed forensic analysis of a failure (and when the failure happens mid-Atlantic it's not) frequently it doesn't happen.

The only industry to have learnt this lesson thoroughly is the commercial airline industry, where making a mistake is celebrated as a chance to make flying safer.

Drago

Legendary Member
I try to learn from other people's mistakes. Businesses are not so good, because spending money to rectify past mistakes is counter to the aim of maximising profit and shareholder return, so they're often slow to 'learn.

Top Bottom