Change new gear cable and not shifting up the gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiwifruit

Über Member
This is my first attempt of changing the gear and brake cables on the Canyon. I just doing the index on the rear cassette and the big lever is shifting fine, but the small lever is not making a clicks and not changing gears. If i stop and leave it for 2 to 3 minutes then it works fine again. Any ideas everyone?

Thanks in advance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Check the nipple is locating correctly by pulling the cable tight and checking visually. Still pulling it try shifting the lever.

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
Check the nipple is locating correctly by pulling the cable tight and checking visually. Still pulling it try shifting the lever.
I have pull the cable right and is still happening and also the big lever doing the same thing.

Make sure the cable is seated at the brifter end. It’s very easy for it to shift back out of its little recess without you noticing, then when you clamp the cable down in the mech, you get a load of slack as you try to shift up the cassette. Keep a bit of tension on the cable as you clamp it, and it should be fine. You may find you have to help things along by pushing the rear mech open slightly then clamping the under tension cable, whilst holding the mech slightly open, as this removes any slack in the spring, which can develop with use over time.

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
Have you routed it correctly? A pick of the lever/cable installation might help.
Could just be gunked up, try flushing it through with WD40 or similar.
This might help you as it's a Canyon he's working on;

View: https://youtu.be/8zLXiNwVwDI

Thanks @Cycleops, I think I have routed the cable correctly. I have watch that video a few times before I went ahead with my cable change. I will have another go tomorrow.

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
Completely confused, chain is on the largest sprocket, can't shift down and can't take the cable out to redo again as can't see the nipple.

alicat

Legendary Member
If you can't see the nipple, that could be because the cable is not taut. Detach it from the rear derailleur clamp and give it a good yank with some pliers.

Alternatively post some pics of the shifter end and the derailleur end so we can see what is going on.

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
If you can't see the nipple, that could be because the cable is not taut. Detach it from the rear derailleur clamp and give it a good yank with some pliers.

Alternatively post some pics of the shifter end and the derailleur end so we can see what is going on.
I gave it a good yank, and i have shifted it down to the smallest sprocket. Later on I will start again as the cable has frayed.

Top Bottom