Change of Groupset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Meirion658

Right I have an Allez Compact Sport. I have already changed the wheels to Mavic Ksyrium Elite.

I am thinking of changing the Sora/Tiagra group set to a 105 group set. The main reason for the change is that I fancy the extra flexibility that the 10sp will give me over the 9spd. Two questions really will I see a big difference in upgrading the group set, and can I get away with keeping the front mech and chainset?
Cheers

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I would have thought whether 9 sp to 10 sp is a worthwhile change, and whether you will notice a "big" difference between the Sora/Tiagra and 105 are subjective judgments that only you can make no matter what others' personal perception of their experience may be... Although as you probably know already if your brifter is Sora then those in the higher groupsets operate differently.

But the answer to the second question is yes (although Shimano may prefer you to believe you need a 10 sp mech and chainset too).

beatleandrew

No need to change chainset or front mech, just the shifters, rear mech and cassette. You might like to change the front mech for completeness though, and I think the 105 front mech isn't too expensive.

redddraggon

Blondie
beatleandrew said:
No need to change chainset or front mech, just the shifters, rear mech and cassette. You might like to change the front mech for completeness though, and I think the 105 front mech isn't too expensive.

You don't need to change the rear mech. Everything else should work OK, but not neccesarily as good as 10spd specific stuff.

Shifters, chain and cassette are all that are really needed to go 10spd.

OP
OP
Meirion658

Meirion658

My next dilema is which ratio to get for the rear cassette. Living in Wales hills are a plenty and some steep ones at that too!!!. My current cassette is 12 25 I can handle most hills on this but yet to be tested on a really steep sustained climb,

Am i better off going for the 11 - 25 or the 12 - 27 to complement my compact at the front?

beatleandrew

Meirion658 said:
My next dilema is which ratio to get for the rear cassette. Living in Wales hills are a plenty and some steep ones at that too!!!. My current cassette is 12 25 I can handle most hills on this but yet to be tested on a really steep sustained climb,

Am i better off going for the 11 - 25 or the 12 - 27 to complement my compact at the front?
I've got an SRAM 11-28: 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28

I usually don't go down to the 28 unless I'm really on my last legs, but I can imagine I would need to use it for sustained steep climbs.

I also find that although I have a little 11t cog, I don't actually get into it for very long periods, a 12 is usually enough. So a 12-27 might be a good choice.

SRAM cassettes are fully compatible with Shimano groupsets and will fit on any 8-9-10 speed Shimano freehubs.

Top Bottom