Change of Plan - ideas needed for a short tour nowhere near the west country!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I was planning on doing the Devon Coast to Coast this next week - although we hadn't booked anything due to bike problems (his not mine). But now the weather looks terrible for next week in Devon, and I'm contemplating changing where I'm cycling.

I don't want a long tour - just a few days of between 25 to max of 50 a days. I did wonder about the Peak District, and found a mention of a circular route using part of the Pennine Cycleway but I can't find any details.

Has anyone ever done a circular route around the Peak District - is there an official route?

Or have you any suggestions for a 3/4 day tour. The Devon Coast to Coast is officially 102 miles long. (Or do you think I should stick to the original plan and drown in Devon:biggrin: after all it might not be as bad as they suggest.)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I don't think there is an official peak district route but we could help you plan one...the peaks are gorgeous. They're hilly though!!

Have you thought about the isle of wight? I kind of fancy cycling round that.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I got into touring at school. We used to have an "activities week" at the end of the summer. One of the activities one year was "Isle of Wight on a Bike"; we cycled from Wimborne to Lymington through the New Forest, and then did a circuit of the island, staying at Youth Hostels.

Most enjoyable - but be warned that it's not flat. In later years, one of my cycling companions coined the neat phrase "where there's a hill, there's a way" while climbing a hill there.

If you go, stick to the south side of the island and its central east-west ridge. The north is all big towns and yacht racing and gets busy in the summer.

Having said all that, I'd stick with your original plan: you've made all the preparations for that, after all. How bad can it really be?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
summerdays said:
Or have you any suggestions for a 3/4 day tour. The Devon Coast to Coast is officially 102 miles long. (Or do you think I should stick to the original plan and drown in Devon:biggrin: after all it might not be as bad as they suggest.)

The weather is rearely as bad as forecasted. One of the benefits of getting wet in Devon is that you'll still be warm. The Peak District is very nice but far from flat and the combination of being wet cool/cold and tired does not make for a happy time.

Seeing that you live in Bristol, an alternative suggestion would be to cycle into Wales via the old Severn Bridge. Pootle up the Wye Valley, be awestruck by the beauty of Tintern Abbey, eat wonderful cakes at Tintern Station just a few miles on, have a mooch around Monmouth and Hereford then loop back.

Brains

Legendary Member
How about the C2C route ?

Having said which I have done the Deven route and as it railway for the 1st day, light rain is OK There is also a great bunkhouse on the route at end of day one (just before the highest point) if you are doing north to south, great food.

vernon

Brains said:

Having said which I have done the Deven route and as it railway for the 1st day, light rain is OK There is also a great bunkhouse on the route at end of day one (just before the highest point) if you are doing north to south, great food.

It's quite a trek from Bristol to get to either end of the C2C route. Travelling time will swallow a day's worth of cycling opportunities.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well we have decided to stick to the original plan ... there has been lots of (torrential) rain in Bristol yest evening, and bits overnight... but we are just going to get wet... I did wonder whether to pack an umbrella under which to shelter... but hubby seems to think I shouldn't pack too much (he's not seen inside my bags:biggrin:).

I've weighed them and they come to about 18 kg including 1 kg lock (exluding the empty drink bottle) but I'm sure I've left out something essential inorder to pack a skirt etc.

We should arrive in Barnstaple just about lunchtime and then head to the start at Ilfracombe.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Brains said:
There is also a great bunkhouse on the route at end of day one (just before the highest point) if you are doing north to south, great food.

Where is this place incase we need to change our plans? though chances are I'll of set off before you see this...

It all depends on how far you think you can get on day one... and I've no idea of my capabilities.

vernon

summerdays said:
Where is this place incase we need to change our plans? though chances are I'll of set off before you see this...

It all depends on how far you think you can get on day one... and I've no idea of my capabilities.

C2C

Coast to Coast around 130 miles from Whitehaven or Workington on the Cumbrian Coast to Sunderland or Tynemouth on the East Coast. It's doable in comfort in three or four days.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Sorry I meant the bunk house.... we are definately setting off in an hour or so's time to North Devon... to the train station ... bikes booked on... in fact thats one of the bits I'm really not looking forward to.... getting the bikes to the right place on the train.

peanut

no rain in adjoining Somerset until just 2 minutes ago when it suddenly went dark and the heavens opened.
I think it would be more pleasant to cycle in the occasional shower than the oppressive humidity and burning sun we had yesterday.
I had to frequently pour chiilled bottled water over my head and neck to avoid heat stroke.

Have a great trip Devon countryside is gorgeous this tim of year. How I envy you as I get ready for another days slog at work .

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Back from my first tour.... we really enjoyed it and I don't seem to have put Mr Summerdays off (despite the heavy rain meaning we had to change our plans one day) and a bit of hassle getting the bikes on the trains to get back.

And I now need to buy more gear (decided the cycling shorts were probably worth it) and maybe plan another shortish tour for next year.

Peanuts we also decided that if it had been as hot and humid as it was the day before we set off we would probably of given up within the first 5 miles.

Top Bottom