Changes for the worse that have happened in my lifetime

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Interviewees starting their responses with "So,....."

As an audience member, the word is irritating, but it's very useful for the interviewee. It buys them time to compose their answer and deflects the answer to something they want to get across rather the question asked.

I quite liked it when Alistair Campbell used to use it when bring grilled on TV, but it's
too mainstream and used inappropriately now.

matticus

Guru
People moaning about the tiny word "SO".

So most people aren't perfect public speakers.
So everyone uses these filler words.
So would you prefer "Well ... " or " Hmmmmmmm. " ?
So what DO you want people to say while they are thinking?
So just deal with it!

(Don't get me started on Aussie cricketers and "Look, ... " )

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Instead of going "eeerrrr" and "uuuhhhhmmm" these people could go back to the old fashioned technique of only opening their mouths when they actually have something to say, instead of chuntering on, realising they've bugger all to get out, and then eeerrrr'ing away to try and fill the void.

matticus

Guru
Instead of going "eeerrrr" and "uuuhhhhmmm" these people could go back to the old fashioned technique of only opening their mouths when they actually have something to say, instead of chuntering on, realising they've bugger all to get out, and then eeerrrr'ing away to try and fill the void.
"ANSWER THE QUESTION !!!! "

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
That could work on here.:laugh::okay:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Marathons becoming snickers. This was a bad thing.

The sad passing the the great Les Dawson. A real turn for the worse was his loss.

Those Luncheon Voucher stickers in pub windows. Gawd knows what they meant, but now the stickers have gone its somehow not the same any more.

Marathons becoming snickers. This was a bad thing.
Not for graphic trades...
I worked in gravure printing at the time and that change was quite lucrative!
V1. Marathon also know as Snickers globally (or some-such)
V2. Snickers formerly known as Marathon
V3. Marathon

Company made lots of money and shared it nicely more to the point.

Top Bottom