Changing 10 Speed Cassette...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
If you dont ask you dont know if you do ask you dont know.
Story of my life so far. :banghead:

Sounds about right, mucka ;) :okay:

The older I get, the less patience I have with people. There's enough crap going on in the real world to have enough patience to deal with people on the internet.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I think your profile pic says it all, @Tojo :smile:

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Sounds about right, mucka ;) :okay:
The older I get, the less patience I have with people. There's enough crap going on in the real world to have enough patience to deal with people on the internet.
Yeah why is that the older you get the less patience you have.
My Mrs often calls me Victor.
index.jpg
i have no idea why. :rolleyes:
Anyway it all passes the time of day and there is another one to look forward to tomorrow. :okay:

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Yeah why is that the older you get the less patience you have.
My Mrs often calls me Victor. View attachment 100496 i have no idea why. :rolleyes:
Anyway it all passes the time of day and there is another one to look forward to tomorrow. :okay:

Haha! I think your reserves just run out over the years.

I'm not even 40 until next year. I feel a long, hard slog coming on :smile:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Wish I hadn't have asked now. FFS!
I just did the numbers and you seem to do most of your riding in gears of about 54 - 81 inches (2:1 to 3:1) with only occasional dips down below that.

If you took @gbb's suggestion and put a bigger inside ring on, you could use that most of the time. A 44 would give you approximately the same gears that you use now but with a much better chainline using the 15,17,19 & 21 and you would have the 24 & 28 for those steep climbs. You could then keep your 50 for what it should be used for - riding fast on the 11,12,13 & 14!

I'll stick to using 26/28, 28/29 or 34/36 on the steep stuff ... :laugh:

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I just did the numbers and you seem to do most of your riding in gears of about 54 - 81 inches (2:1 to 3:1) with only occasional dips down below that.

If you took @gbb's suggestion and put a bigger inside ring on, you could use that most of the time. A 44 would give you approximately the same gears that you use now but with a much better chainline using the 15,17,19 & 21 and you would have the 24 & 28 for those steep climbs. You could then keep your 50 for what it should be used for - riding fast on the 11,12,13 & 14!

I'll stick to using 26/28, 28/29 or 34/36 on the steep stuff ... :laugh:

Thank you, kind sir. This is why I come on here, for others' wisdom.

Much appreciated, @ColinJ :okay:

oldroadman

Veteran
If you prefer bigger gears, think about going 40/52 (or 53). Still a good range, a bit more time on the 40 when climbing, maybe consider working on cadence to increase that a tiny bit, and you'll have a workable range with that "emergency" low gear still available, and the 52 (53) outer will just push up the ratios a bit, so descending will be more fun.
About a millennia ago, in competition (and training), 52x17,18, or 19 were favourite ratios for rolling along in the peloton, albeit on 7 and 8 speed cassettes (or blocks as they were then). With a 42 inner and 24 bottom sprocket, with an option for 40 x 25 or 27 when it was a big climb day. back even further, the smallest Campag inner was 42, and 3rd party supplier could go down to 41, simply because of the size of the spider.
The modern tendency seems to be lower gears uphill, much bigger everywhere else, and 36/53(or 54) plus 10 and 11 speed cassettes facilitate this. Plenty of big gears to play with, going down to mediums, and inner rings that will easily run the chain across to the 15 or 16. Chains are thinner and more flexible now, chainline may not be a problem, but they do seem to wear a bit faster.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
If you prefer bigger gears, think about going 40/52 (or 53). Still a good range, a bit more time on the 40 when climbing, maybe consider working on cadence to increase that a tiny bit, and you'll have a workable range with that "emergency" low gear still available, and the 52 (53) outer will just push up the ratios a bit, so descending will be more fun.
About a millennia ago, in competition (and training), 52x17,18, or 19 were favourite ratios for rolling along in the peloton, albeit on 7 and 8 speed cassettes (or blocks as they were then). With a 42 inner and 24 bottom sprocket, with an option for 40 x 25 or 27 when it was a big climb day. back even further, the smallest Campag inner was 42, and 3rd party supplier could go down to 41, simply because of the size of the spider.
The modern tendency seems to be lower gears uphill, much bigger everywhere else, and 36/53(or 54) plus 10 and 11 speed cassettes facilitate this. Plenty of big gears to play with, going down to mediums, and inner rings that will easily run the chain across to the 15 or 16. Chains are thinner and more flexible now, chainline may not be a problem, but they do seem to wear a bit faster.

Thanks for the info, @oldroadman!

Looks like I'll have to do a bit of research and tinkering.

ayceejay

Guru
Just for reference maybe have a look at the Sram Force CX1 that has an 11 speed cassette and only one chain ring and no cross chaining - I believe there is a road version in the works.

Top Bottom