Changing bike chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anton

Hi,
I am after some advice for changing my bike chain. I am changing (trying to anyway) a 9 speed KMC bike chain. The old chain has 108 links and I had planned to just put the same amount of links back on using the new chain. The new chain only has 106 links but is longer than the old chain. Don't really want to start taking links out until I'm absolutely sure what the heck I'm doing. I'm i being thick or is it easier than I am making it. Any advice greatly appreciated.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd have a recount. :whistle:
The best way to check is to wrap the chain around the big sprocket on the wheel and the big sprocket on the crank (without threading the chain through the rear mech.) You should have a 2-4 link 'overlap'

screenman

Legendary Member
Surely for the new chain with less links to be longer than the old chain with more links in the spacing is odd, or is it me.

OP
OP
A

Anton

Raleighnut was correct I didn't have my abacus available :wacko: anyway I am really not very good at cycle maintenance stuff so thought I'd have a go at changing the chain and cassette. Managed to do it after a little head scratching.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
New chains usually have 114/116 links - so I'm sceptical!!

Call me picky, but don't they actually have 57 or 58 links? :smile:

chainpitch.gif

OP
OP
A

Anton

Just one more question. I actually put an 8 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette. I did this purely because it had more than the 108 links than my 9 speed chain had. I just split the 8 speed to 108 links which I needed. Seems to be running ok. Any potential problems doing it this way?

Thanks

shadow master

Just one more question. I actually put an 8 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette. I did this purely because it had more than the 108 links than my 9 speed chain had. I just split the 8 speed to 108 links which I needed. Seems to be running ok. Any potential problems doing it this way?

Thanks
The 8 speed chain is slightly wider so you may experience some slight chinging noises on the rear cassette,and precise indexing can be tricky,if you've changed the chain only,it will almost certainly slip in 9th cog(smallest)under hard pedal pressure,nothing to do with 8\9 speed chain,9 speed cassettes just don't like new chains at all,best changed as a pair,90% of people that say there new chain doesnt slip in 9th gear,simply aren't producing enough power to make it slip

shadow master

Why does it slip? For most on this forum I would have thought the smallest sprocket the least used.
Two reason's really,all though the small sprocket may not be used as much it only has 11\12teeth to take the wear,also its the gear the most pressure can be applied,I've had loads of people that just follow the pedals around and say its fine,I get on the bike and make it slip within 15 yards...doesn't really apply to campag kit as its so agricultural.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Two reason's really,all though the small sprocket may not be used as much it only has 11\12teeth to take the wear,also its the gear the most pressure can be applied,I've had loads of people that just follow the pedals around and say its fine,I get on the bike and make it slip within 15 yards...doesn't really apply to campag kit as its so agricultural.
:giggle: My 10 speed Campagnolo set up certainly lets me know when the next gears gone in. :eek:

Top Bottom