Changing chain before fully worn to get away with replacing cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
Wondering what the opinions were, my road bike chain is over 75% worn but not quite 100% worn. Will I get away with changing it but not the cassette ? or am I passed the point of no return and would be as well getting more wear out it and repling the cassette at the same time ? Previous experience the chain if not fully married in will skip.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Yes, you should. If you don't let the chain get too worn, you should get about 3 chains to one cassette. I did exactly that and it was absolutely fine.

If you fit the new chain and it slips on the cassette, then it was too worn and you'll need the new cassette anyway.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
Yes, you should. If you don't let the chain get too worn, you should get about 3 chains to one cassette. I did exactly that and it was absolutely fine.

If you fit the new chain and it slips on the cassette, then it was too worn and you'll need the new cassette anyway.

Do you change at 75% or nearer the 100% ?

zacklaws

Guru
Chain checkers can be innacurate and indicate a chain to be worn when it is not. A chain checker measure distance between roller to roller but to show elongation you need to measure pin to pin. There is only one recomended chain checker which is accurate, but I cannot remember which make it is or remember what website it is that goes into detail about the innacuracies of chain checkers. The best tool to use or if in doubt with a chain checker, use a 12 inch ruler.

Drago

Legendary Member
You mean a 12" rule?

MikeW-71

Veteran
Do you change at 75% or nearer the 100% ?
No idea what the percentage is, I use a 12" rule to measure and replaced when the 12" mark was at the edge of the pin instead of the centre. Perhaps I could have left it longer, but it took 2800 miles to reach that point and that seemed reasonable :smile:

Top Bottom