Changing chain before fully worn to get away with replacing cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My Ultegra cassette is now on its third new chain and it's skipping occasionally when I give it welly in the smallest cog. I guess that's the cog that will slip easiest as it has the fewest teeth so I guess that means time for a new cassette, right?

Last edited:

Citius

My Ultegra cassette is now on its third new chain and it's skipping occasionally when I give it welly in the smallest cog. I guess that's the cog that will slip easiest as it has the fewest teeth so I guess that means time for a new cassette, right?

Check your limit screw and b-screw adjustment before shelling out on a new cassette which you might not need. Very unusual for a cassette to be worn on the lowest or highest sprockets, as these are probably the least used on average...

Tim Hall

Check your limit screw and b-screw adjustment before shelling out on a new cassette which you might not need. Very unusual for a cassette to be worn on the lowest or highest sprockets, as these are probably the least used on average...
Surely the smallest sprocket gets greater forces (torque?) applied due to its smaller diameter. (A level physics was a long time ago, so I could be talking tosh).

Citius

I'm not talking about forces - I'm talking about the amount of time you spend in the extremes at either end, compared to the time you spend in the middle of the block...

bpsmith

Veteran
I am the type that tend to change earlier, rather than later, as hate a noisy drivetrain and like the relative security of knowing my kit is less like to fail. Clearly, things can fail at any time, but are more likely the more they are worn.

Others prefer to change at the very last minute, or on failure. Some fall in between.

It's not exactly expensive to change earlier though. If we assume that wear is linear and that you can change your chain and cassette as follows:

1. New chain every 2,000 and cassette at 6,000.

2. New chain every 3,000 and cassette at 6,000.

3. New chain every 6,000 and cassette at 6,000.

Also assume an Ultegra Cassette is £46 and Chain is £20.

We are literally talking about £80 extra for option 1, and £40 extra for option 2, compared to option 3. This is neglible over 12,000 miles.

Now, here's the thing. We know wear isn't linear. What I would like to know is how long a cassette lasts on option 2 and option 3. Then we can compare properly. I very much doubt a chain and cassette can last 6,000 miles and still be efficient?

Anyone got experience on this?

1. New chain every 2,000 and cassette at 6,000.

3. New chain every 6,000 and cassette at 6,000.
I think the idea is something more like

1. New chain every 2,000 and cassette at 8,000.

3. New chain every 5,000 and cassette at 5,000.

(made up numbers, but you get the idea. the more you change the chain, the longer the cassette should last. Just testing the theory myself)

Ihatehills

@jefmcg engineers get terribly upset if you refer to a steel rule as a ruler, not sure why but my college lecturer used to have a right grump on about it.

migrantwing

Veteran
...because Rule, not ruler is the correct word usage for the measuring implement. A ruler is incorrect English. It's lazy English and has been put into the dictionary as it's widely used, albeit incorrectly. Selfie is also in the dictionary, but it is not a 'real' word. I also have an English teaching qualification.

...because Rule, not ruler is the correct word usage for the measuring implement. A ruler is incorrect English. It's lazy English and has been put into the dictionary as it's widely used, albeit incorrectly. Selfie is in the dictionary, but it is not a 'real' word.
Proof? I've just looked up 2 dictionaries and they both define ruler without reference to rule, but not the other way around.

And all of english is from usage. There is no such thing as a "real" word, unless it's a proper noun - which is, but definition, "made up"

People think whatever they learnt first is "real english" and that other usages are wrong, not just different. I'm as guilty of that as anyone else, and just yesterday learnt that, despite the origins of the word, decimate means to wipe out a large proportion of something, not just 10%. If you are going to insist on it meaning 10%, then next month is December, being the 10th month and all.

And all of english is from usage.

True, and I heard the decimate argument yesterday too.

The issue with things like rule/ruler, however, is that, whilst current usage has developed to allow 'ruler' to mean a straight-edged measuring thing, not solely 'one who rules [a state]', that usage has degraded the previous state of the language and introduced ambiguity. Yes, it's almost invariably clear, based on context, which of the two definitions of 'ruler' is intended, but it still /is/ ambiguous. Why adopt the convergence when it has no obvious benefit? The problem is that arguing about any single instance of this sort of convergence is clearly a little petty or pedantic, but, taken collectively, such convergence does reduce the flexibility and nuance available in the language, which is rather sad, I feel.

migrantwing

Veteran
Proof? I've just looked up 2 dictionaries and they both define ruler without reference to rule, but not the other way around.

And all of english is from usage. There is no such thing as a "real" word, unless it's a proper noun - which is, but definition, "made up"

People think whatever they learnt first is "real english" and that other usages are wrong, not just different. I'm as guilty of that as anyone else, and just yesterday learnt that, despite the origins of the word, decimate means to wipe out a large proportion of something, not just 10%. If you are going to insist on it meaning 10%, then next month is December, being the 10th month and all.

I have no proof as the proof out there is mostly misguided. GITMO is not a word, but Americans use it as an abbreviation of Guantanamo. There's not even an 'i' in Guantanamo.

The origin of Decimate comes from 'one in every ten'. Roman Centurions (the clue is in the word) who had fared badly in battle were flogged, crucified and killed to be made an example of and to inflict fear into the rest of the Legion to do better next time. One in every ten was flogged. The 'new' meaning is just a continuation of the origin. Just as December was the 10th month. Words change over time, meaning changes over time, it's the way it is.

From Wikipedia:

December gets its name from the Latin word decem (meaning ten) because it was originally the tenth month of the year in the Roman calendar, which began in March. The winter days following December were not included as part of any month. Later, the months of January and February were created out of the monthless period and added to the beginning of the calendar, but December retained its name.

Ten is also an important number as it leads on to 100, 1000, 100,000 etc. Romans used it as a yard stick of sorts. Easy, round, whole numbers, that could be multiplied.

Rule, for a measuring tool, most likely comes from rule as 'the rule' for its measurement increments. A Universal tool that could be shared among engineers of the time to get precise measurements. It may also come from 'to rule'. A stick or branch used by those of authority to beat or persuade animals or slaves alike. A ruling stick.

Americans use 'then' a hell of a lot when they should be using 'than'. I see it ALL the time. It's incorrect but is allowed and not really corrected. Doesn't mean it's right.

A tape measure is not tape, it's usually metal, unless it's the type used in haberdashery. We ALL call them tape measures, but the ones we use aren't made of tape, but we ALL know what the other is referring to. The origin and meaning have changed over time and usage.

I use a rule, you use a ruler. I don't really care, it's just annoying. Also, English is spelt with a capital E :smile:

Last edited:

migrantwing

Veteran
@jefmcg

I have just done some research and it seems as though the word rule or ruler is used depending on what tool is used for what intended use. It's a bit stupid and confusing, but a plastic ruler is used for stuff at school, for instance, yet a carpenters rule (which can also be made of plastic and/or wood/metal) is called a rule. I'm going to sit on the fence with this one as I can't see or find a 100%, clear, concise 'rule' for the use of rule or ruler :smile:

I hate being caught in limbo. LOL!

Top Bottom