Changing chain before fully worn to get away with replacing cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
:okay:

The English language is bizarre. I've always loved the language, even when I was a kid, excelling in it at school. I decided in later life to use that love to become a qualified English teacher. God damn, how confusing it was. I succeeded in attaining my qualification, but probably would have learned a new, Foreign language and understood it more easily, and a lot quicker than the English?!?!?!?!

Han69

Regular
...because Rule, not ruler is the correct word usage for the measuring implement. A ruler is incorrect English. It's lazy English and has been put into the dictionary as it's widely used, albeit incorrectly. Selfie is also in the dictionary, but it is not a 'real' word. I also have an English teaching qualification.
But arn't languages also about change, though we speak English, its different to that of 200 years ago.

I did run a HG50 and a KMC 8sp for nearly 8,000 miles and though worn it wasn't slipping, though a new chain would most likely have caused it to do so.

zacklaws

Guru
I

It's not exactly expensive to change earlier though. If we assume that wear is linear and that you can change your chain and cassette as follows:

1. New chain every 2,000 and cassette at 6,000.

2. New chain every 3,000 and cassette at 6,000.

3. New chain every 6,000 and cassette at 6,000.

Anyone got experience on this?

When you start running chains for too long, not only do you have to think about replacing cassettes you also then have to start thinking about wearing out the chain rings prematurely as well. What would the next step be, 9000 miles and replace chain, cassette and chain rings but hope your chain does not snap before then. Its a vicious circle.

bpsmith

Veteran
I think the idea is something more like

1. New chain every 2,000 and cassette at 8,000.

2. New chain every 3,000 and cassette at 6,000.

3. New chain every 5,000 and cassette at 5,000.

(made up numbers, but you get the idea. the more you change the chain, the longer the cassette should last. Just testing the theory myself)
That was my point too. I set it out as if it were linear, then stated that I understood it wasn't so that somebody else could start the ball rolling on real comparisons. Thank you for giving a closer start point.

On your example the costs are 1.6p per mile, 1.4p pm and 1.3p pm. Hardly expensive to change a chain every 2,000 miles if it gave you 4 chains per cassette!

bpsmith

Veteran
When you start running chains for too long, not only do you have to think about replacing cassettes you also then have to start thinking about wearing out the chain rings prematurely as well. What would the next step be, 9000 miles and replace chain, cassette and chain rings but hope your chain does not snap before then. Its a vicious circle.
I totally agree and you have proved my point perfectly.

People complain about the chain measure tools being too pessimistic, but they actually allow us gauge when to change to allow us to get the most out of the rest of the kit.

At £20 a pop for an Ultegra chain, then what's the problem with changing "early"?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Mod note:

The thread seems to have strayed off topic a bit. If you want to discuss the English language, a new thread in the cafe would be the place. Further posts in here on the subject of ruler vs rule may be removed.

And now back to the original discussion.....

If your chains elongated 3000 miles you certainly got your moneys worth out of it. Where do you take the slack up?
I just changed it, it wasn't worn, well no more than say 1/16th of an inch. I measure the bottom length under tension from the RD and there was little if any to the cassette
_MG_4407.png

@cyberknight usually about 6 months, but been slacking this year.

D

Deleted member 1258

I don't measure chains, my bikes get a new chain every 12 months, and my geared bike a new cassette every 3 years, my fixed gets a new cog every couple of years.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I measure and err on the side of caution and change chains and cassettes far too early. However I tend to buy a few when they are on special offer so I always have spares around. I have a new bike on order that is 11 speed, so I will soon need to start filling up with the more expensive 11 speed spares.

I don't measure chains, my bikes get a new chain every 12 months, and my geared bike a new cassette every 3 years, my fixed gets a new cog every couple of years.
I can do up to several thousand miles a year, (though been slacking this year) I usually get through a chain every six months or so.

Top Bottom