Changing chain before fully worn to get away with replacing cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I can do up to several thousand miles a year, (though been slacking this year) I usually get through a chain every six months or so.

On the fixed I do around 3000 miles a year, on the geared bike I do between 1500 and 2000 miles.

On the fixed I do around 3000 miles a year, on the geared bike I do between 1500 and 2000 miles.
That would explain the cassette every three years then, similar sort of mileage.
I suppose I would get something like 2 maybe 3 chains per cassette, not had the 10sp cassette wear out due to lack of mileage in the last 12 months, but I have 12-27 (105) and a 12-23, I did about 3,000 on the KMC chain and 12-27 (pictured), doubt I have done 2,000 yet on the Uletegra. chain cassette combination thats the 12-23.

D

Deleted member 1258

That would explain the cassette every three years then, similar sort of mileage.
I suppose I would get something like 2 maybe 3 chains per cassette, not had the 10sp cassette wear out due to lack of mileage in the last 12 months, but I have 12-27 (105) and a 12-23, I did about 3,000 on the KMC chain and 12-27 (pictured), doubt I have done 2,000 yet on the Uletegra. chain cassette combination thats the 12-23.

My mileage isn't down much this year, I've done about 3500 miles, but I haven't done as much mileage on a Sunday as I would do normally, means I've done most of my miles commuting on the fixed, I either haven't had the time for Sunday rides or the mojo's been missing and I've not done the long rides I've done in the past, most of this years rides have been 50-60 milers, looking back I'm doing between 500 and a 1000 miles less a year than I was 3-4 years ago.

@dave r I have had other things to do (new pond in Aug), and the mojo thing, I tend not to ride much distance, but 150 miles a week was pretty average, for instance my mate lives 3 miles away I would do 20 to get there sometime that back, but more usually 10, basically 50Km, and until recently that was pretty much my daily average, when out, do that 5 days a week or more.

Top Bottom