Changing cycling rules of the road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
These are just lightly thought out suggestions. What do you think?

1. Cyclists to give way if red light. If pedestrians are waiting to cross, or are anywhere near the read lights and might cross, you must stop.

2. You must slow down at lights especially if there are poles or other obstructions that can hide people and especially kids at certain angles. Idk what "slows down" means technically, but for the way I would approach it is "if you collide with someone who just ventures out into the road, then you're to blame" and adjust your speed so you can stop in time.

3. Zebra crossings. A car cannot be on a zebra crossing at the same time as a pedestrian but a cyclist can, as long as the cyclist passes slowly behind the person crossing the road. Proceed at a speed where, if the person crossing the road changes their mind and does a U turn, you better not collide with them otherwise its your fault.

4. At red lights, if you think you cannot get to the front of the traffic before the lights go green, then stay back. There's no hotdog waiting for you at the traffic lights. Stay back, be safe.

5. Cycling up one way streets towards traffic. Don't do it. Not really because of the car's coming towards you, but more because parked car drivers won't be expecting you and will pull out slightly without any regard for your presence.

6. Should you cycle on the footpath? I would like to see this rule changed to yes but only if you cycle at jogging pace and the footpath is uncrowded. But there are too many variables and interpretations that will cause inconvenience to pedestrians so I'm afraid I have to say no to this one. But if there are no people around, then cycling at jogging pace should be ok. Bare in mind, if anyone walks out of their house or shop and collides with you, then its your fault.

Sometimes the above happens when a bus, in the bus lane is pulled up next to a lorry in the adjacent lane, and it stays in this configuration for some time. Highly annoying for cyclists.

7. Parking your bike. Don't park it at a lamp post with a loose fitting lock because soner or later your bike will fall over causing an obstruction for pedestrians.

8. Keeping the momentum going. When a hill is approaching, the cyclist will speed up to keep the momentum high and this reduce the effort required to climb the hill. If there is an obstruction or other danger prior to the hill, the cyclist will take a risk and keep the speed inappropriately high. Don't! If you have to slow down, slow down. If you have to lose momentum prior to the hill, so be it.

9. Slippery stuff. When the roads are wet, the white paint is slippery. And metal covers/drains/etc are even worse. Look ahead and judge in plenty of time to avoid these. And especially at this time of year, avoid wet leaves. Not only are they super slippery but you never know what's lurking underneath them. Same going for puddles; you never know what's there.

10. If reducing your speed affects your strava time, you're more likely to live another day. Try a more suitable route or time.

11. Use lights. Day or nights. Use reflective clothes. Show the world you are there. Having said that, I do like the team sky and/or rapha gear which is in darker colours. Wear helmet. Wear gloves.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't think any changes should be considered for cyclists until the clear majority of cyclists learn to obey the existing rules, and theres a greater effort of enforcement against those that don't.

Then, and only then, should we ponce about with more rules or laws.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don't think any changes should be considered for cyclists until the clear majority of cyclists learn to obey the existing rules, and theres a greater effort of enforcement against those that don't.

Then, and only then, should we ponce about with more rules or laws.
Do the clear majority of drivers obey the rules on 30mph speed limits I wonder?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
1 is known as "Idaho Stop" and sometimes suggested here,
2 seems already true even on green but widely disobeyed,
3 may be already true? http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1997/2400/regulation/25/made says walkers have precedence rather than exclusivity - in practice, a motorist can't cross safely until the walkers are well clear,
4 seems bad advice unless you enjoy being the meat in a nose-tail shunt sandwich - see the filtering discussions for more,
5 seems bad advice because two-way cycling on one-way streets is legal in many places ("except cycles" or so-called "false one-ways") and should be in many more,
6 is highly-debatably already true in some forms http://lcc.org.uk/articles/minister...ter-1057-fines-for-pavement-cycling-in-london but best not do it except as a last resort,
7 is already true,
8 is bizarre and I've not seen that, not even in hilly Somerset (but I guess the Mendips are big enough that you've no chance of charging over them!),
9 and 10 are fair enough but hardly a rule change,
11 is mostly bad advice but I'm sure there's plenty of DRL and hi-viz threads as well as the helmet one.

So only one good rule change there? Idaho stop.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I am not putting lights on nor wearing hi-viz in broad daylight!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If all us cyclists live in the same glass house, maybe throwing stones at others . . .
Which represents the greater threat (risk x impact) to other road users, a driver doing 40 in a 30 zone or a cyclist riding slowly on the pavement next to the road used by the speeding driver?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Which represents the greater threat (risk x impact) to other road users, a driver doing 40 in a 30 zone or a cyclist riding slowly on the pavement next to the road used by the speeding driver?

Depends on the circumstances.

If there was nothing else on the road and lots of pedestrians on the pavement then the cyclist on the pavement is the greater threat

Top Bottom